heres a really good question!!

rdlover

to those of you who are experience.. whats the minimum gallon tank to house 3 arowana for life and will let them have enough moving space and be comfy cause i was at the local fish store.. and i was pricing out my new tanks.. and if im gonna get one? i might as well go big or go home but i honestly.. dont feel like.. blowing.. 4grand on a damn.. 265 gallon + stand and canopy.. i think only this is from bigals btw i mean.. 4grand? i could just go custom make for for same price probably nicer

EKen

Super Moderator
Your philosophy of starting big is a good thing, ihmo. As for tank minimum dimensions, you are going to get many kind of answers. Personally, if I had the money and space and wanted a comm. tank, I would go for something at least 8' long and 3' wide.

And 4000$ for a 265gallons is a bit expensive, you can easily find a better deal than that, imho.

rulaifu

Where are you located? If it is in Montreal, I can find you a good deal on the big tank. 4000 for 265 gallons tank is a bit expensive nowadays.
If you have space, I will ask you to go with 10 feet. Otherwise, like Eken said, 8 feet is A MUST. For the width, the wider the better, but again if space is a problem, then 2 feet is A MUST.

rdlover

i got plenty of space lol my basement is empty and im the only one who lives downstairs i got a 90 gallon right now and my location is in alberta =/

you could always do what I am doing and build your own, here is a good link for that.

great site if you wanna build your own tank, simply enter your dimensions and what you wanna make it outta and it creates a complete cutlist and step by step instructions on how to do it
http://www.garf.org/

click DIY pages on left column

rulaifu

i got plenty of space lol my basement is empty and im the only one who lives downstairs i got a 90 gallon right now and my location is in alberta =/
I am waiting for your goods news for the big tank. Something like 300 gallons and over.

ninjaturtle

8x3 base sounds perfect.

n the price of 8x3 = 290812 super reds! lol

how much is a 8x3? i think in the long run, the electric bill will run ur wallet dry from operating big pumps n big filters, n big heaters n lots of lighting.

my frens outdoor pond costs him $200 on just the heater bill per month, n its a small pond... 6 month... = super red aro alrdy lol

Alx

Checkout Golds and Riverfront in Calgary
My friend got 450gl (Just tank with lids - acrylic tank) for $2000 from Riverfront plus $160 for metal and paid $217 to weld a stand at the local metal-shop + $16 black paint for the stand.

and I got 2X90gl (glass) for $200 each with the lids from Golds. and I know they custom build above 120 gl for very reasonable price.

Last edited:

rdlover

were is alberta are you? these are a few store here in calgary thanks are cheap!!

how cheap is cheap?=/ but i dont feel like driving up to calgary just to bring a tank.. back probably.. just added on $$$ with gas prices now a days -_-

Alx

I usually plan my trips to Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver, to pickup fish and supplies as part of the holidays (easy to justify to my wife). So she gets IKEA or some other store stops, we do some family activities (and on the way back I pick-up what I need as I usually pre-order).

carcrazy

I bought a used 320 gallon plywood tank (72L x 34D x 30H) with a 60 gallon sump (wet/dry filter) and a really sturdy metal stand for $350.00. After a repaint it was good as new. For really large tanks (bigger than mine), I think that plywood tanks are the way to go - much cheaper.

showthread.php

protoxeno

I bought a used 320 gallon plywood tank (72L x 34D x 30H) with a 60 gallon sump (wet/dry filter) and a really sturdy metal stand for $350.00. After a repaint it was good as new. For really large tanks (bigger than mine), I think that plywood tanks are the way to go - much cheaper.

showthread.php

Woah, all that for only 350?

carcrazy

I really got lucky as the tank is made with angle iron around the plywood and fibreglass panels, 1/2 inch glass on the front. The tank was originally made for the University of Manitoba and the stand was made by their engineering department. The tank should last a long time.

Here's an older picture of the tank. I need to borrow a camera to take one with the Jardini and rays in it.

Attachments

• my plywood tank2.JPG
    my plywood tank2.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 608

homebrewed

Super Moderator
You got that tank for Ray, hey?

Good pickup.

I was mulling over picking that up for along time but decided the dimensions weren't quite right for me.

carcrazy

Thanks. Yes, it was Rays old tank. It seems to be working out alright for me, although I wish it was a little bit longer (8 feet instead of 6). I like the depth and height, though.

Every time I upgrade a tank, it looks huge and I think that I will never need a bigger tank. After a while, the tank doesn't seem quite as huge and I start thinking about (gulp) an even larger one. Maybe a plywood tank/pond in the basement, with multiple panes of glass, along one wall? Is there no end?

h.l_nathan

yeah there's no end to this hobby. I got a 10f and a pond indoor and this summer i'm thinking of a pond in the middle of my sundeck. 2 cars can fit under that deck and i'm planning to build half of that deck.