Hi all!

Eddio

I'm a university student studying bioinformatics, from Edmonton, Alberta. Recently put in an order for a Panda Red with Theo. It'll be my family's first asian arowana and we're all very excited about it.

We already got our 110g tank setup and ready to go. Any tips on what I should be doing with it while I wait?

Nice meeting you all and hope I can learn more about this hobby from all you pro's out there! =)

James Sananikone

Welcome Brother, having an aro is very exiting for everyone, I know how anxious you are, I have been there !

To really enjoy the fish ... you have to have a lot of patience and stay with the rule, many new hobbyist scrapped the fish by rushing the process...
Panda is a good bet ... Good luck !!!

carcrazy

I am also still kind of new to aros. What do you mean by rushing and scrapping the fish? I basically treat my aro like any other fish, fed twice a day until he doesn't seem interested in food. I feed him mostly sw and the occasional market shrimp. 30% wc every second or third day in a 320g tank. What else should I be doing? The idea of scrapping a $1200 aro kind of scares me.

carcrazy

I originally had a blue painted background in the 320g for the RTG but some dark algae has grown over it a bit. It hasn't affected the water quality so I don't worry about it too much. The water has stayed nice and clear after I gave it a shot of UV when I first cycled the tank (algae bloom).

The super red will go into a 270g with a blue painted background when he is a little bigger (to join a 12" tin foil barb and a 8" severum). Other tankmates when larger will be 2 motoro rays and 2 florida gars.

Just today I bought a 5" green aro to go into my 165g planted tank. This tank has a black background and has many plants and driftwood. His tankmates are 4 large angels, 2 blue gourami, a small ornate bichir and a small severum (who so far has left the plants alone).

Last edited:

Eddio

Heya carcrazy...just wondering how many plants you put with your aro and if your aro would decimate them? I'm running a full spectrum flurescent lighting, and probably would like to put plants in my tank...never knew you could put an aro in a planted tank though :D

carcrazy

I never tried an aro in a planted tank before either. I heard that it was possible, though, so I decided to take a chance. Everyone said my severum would destroy all the plants as well but he hasn't touched even one so far (6 months). Here is a picture of the tank that the aro went in (I don't have a camera right now so the aro is not in the picture)

http://www.monsterfishkeeper.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2750937#post2750937

I think that the contrast of bright green plants with a pale green aro should look quite nice when he grows up. Hopefully, he won't kill any tankmates when he gets larger as well. Only time will tell.

James Sananikone

Nice planted tank, I like it....
I saw some experienced aro keepers in asia kept their aro in a planted tank, the aros look awsome and seem to be happier and more relaxed than in a bare tank ... The negative part is the aro might get hurt by hitting what you put in the tank, if just plants should'nt have any problem.

carcrazy

Thanks. Yeah, I'll probably have to pull out some of the driftwood when he gets bigger. Right now he's so small that the tank must look like a lake to him!