How big a sump needed for a 525 gallon and how much media?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Okay, so I am in Thailand now and will be returning to Canada within a month or so.

I am probably going to pick up some filter media for a large sump filter I have planned in the near future. Thinking of using what is called "Japanese mat", filter floss, ceramic rings, and lava rock. Prices are pretty good over here. Just going to a local fish shop I can get a large "net bag" of ceramic rings (guessing about 5 kgs) for about $5 US. I think that is about a quarter the price of North America? No need to get lava rock here of course, so cheap back in Canada I think.

The Japanese mat comes in large sheets, while the filter floss comes in rolls. I'll let you know what I end up getting and the cost.

And now for my questions. For a 535 gallon tank, what size sump should I set up? How many gallons or what dimensions would you recommend? I am in new territory here. I have had a prefitted sump for a 150 gallon before, but it came ready to run. Now I want to build out my own sump myself. Any advice appreciated.

DragonfishExotics

I think a 150 gallon sump would be great. 4x4x36. I have a trick with the mat that helps circulate water better, you cut 2" wide strips of mat and silicone them to the bottom of another mat using 2" spacing. To give a ribbed effect. It helps with more of a unified flow. Thats what we used on th 26,000 gallon tank in Waynes house. But instead of having sumps, he had a massive filter room, but same idea. Even on our breeding tanks, and the 2 aro ponds, we only used mat, some laying down and then some standing up. And it was connected to a wetdry system. Of course it helps with having a aquarium shop above you.

He has very large bioloads housing 100 three foot koi in his pond. And always had great water quality with the mat modified in this maner and a wet dry. We never used ceramic rings, not that they are bad, but a large wet dry is more effient. I have learned a wetdry system it is 17 times more effient then ceramic rings imursed in water. With wet dry, more oxygen is getting to the BB which means more waste is being converted. One BB needs one molecule of oxygen to eat 1 molecule of waste.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Hmm...any idea what I would be looking at for a 160 gallon custom made? I would guess the dimensions would be 72X24X20?

Also, any idea what the going rate for bio-balls is in Canada? I might try sourcing them here too...