How many arowanas for pairing?

david16

I thought 1 arowana is too lonely in a tank. I want to eventually keep a pair of RTGHBs. How many small ones should I buy and grow out so that I can keep a pair at the end (and sell off the rest)? How big should they be before they pair up?

I am setting up a 225G (30" wide) but I may go larger in the future :).

thanks,
/David.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I think you would want to start out with a minimum of 5 fish, preferably 6; the problem you would face, however, is that a 230 gallon tank would not be big enough to get your fish to adulthood in a couple years. I think you would need a bigger tank, preferably in the 400+ range to be successful in getting a pair.

bcarlos

A lot has to do with the personality of your fish. I know guys who keep two aros together with very few problems, but that is definitely the exception. I agree with Theo, at least 400 gallons, and probably bigger, for a group of aros. And you may want to consider space for dithers, too (SD's, for example).

Personally, I prefer one immaculate aro over a group with torn fins and missing scales.

tomuhs

What would you guys advise to do when the aros start pairing off in a comm? Would it be better to isolate the pair or to keep them in a comm and strip eggs when the eggs have incubated in the male for long enuff? Doubt i'll ever be in this predicament but let's say for the sake of discussion, what would you do lol.

hondas3000

What would you guys advise to do when the aros start pairing off in a comm? Would it be better to isolate the pair or to keep them in a comm and strip eggs when the eggs have incubated in the male for long enuff? Doubt i'll ever be in this predicament but let's say for the sake of discussion, what would you do lol.

that is like a million dollar question as no one have experience tank breed themselves yet :D. Well I still have hope for my aro.