How to calculate O2 requirements for stingrays

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I just read that the Calgary zoo is shutting down its ray exhibit; from what I read in the following article, it sounds like someone did not do their homework before hand (i.e. calculate the O2 requirements properly).

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...lgary-zoo.html

As we approach the dog days of summer, how many of us have aquarium set ups that would also suffer O2 crash if we had a summer power outage?

I am breaking ground in two days on setting up a 535 gallon tank, so it will be something I think about.

Anyone know how to properly calculate the O2 needs for rays and/or other fish in very large aquariums?

h.l_nathan

Do what i do. two pumps. one on back up power generator. if anything happens the generator kicks on right away. Also have a back up power pack for your air pump. that way you wont have to calculate the O2.

chen88

Super Moderator
i've got a couple battery air pumps....just have to make sure we have batteries around!....but as long as the outtage isn't for days....in which if it is...i think even with a generator you will be out of fuel....

carcrazy

I use an airpod battery/ac air pump on my ray tanks (main and growout). It runs on ac until a power outage occurs, then it switches instantly to battery backup. It can run for 2 days straight on batteries and pumps a lot of air. It's very quiet too. They cost about $75 without batteries but they are definitely a bargain compared to a lost ray.

chen88

Super Moderator
where did you get the airpod? $75 and could run for 2 days is well worth the cost of your fish!

chen88

Super Moderator
Thanks...definitely going to order one as it's way longer then the cheapo i have...thx

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I just picked up a cheap one from Petcetra - 50% off due to their going out of business sale.