leap height?

frozen-fire

agreed. also, it will depend on how much the aro can angle itself prior to jumping. like if it was completely vertical, then it would get up a lot higher.

Yuppa

Super Moderator
yeah for sure, some of those harvesting vidoes show them leaping 2-3 feet out the water to escape, and that amazon video shows a silver taking a monkey from a low hanging branch, at least a 4' jump

Gwai.jai

You might have to slope the area around the pond back toward the water....when aro jumps out, the slope, will hopefully direct him back into the water!

Depending where you are located, might have to watch out for racoons and other wildlife!

CYRUS

You might have to slope the area around the pond back toward the water....when aro jumps out, the slope, will hopefully direct him back into the water!

Depending where you are located, might have to watch out for racoons and other wildlife!

well im building an in ground indoor pond so i wouldnt worry about the racoons but if ever they do come in i dont think they would like it if all the see is my pitty staring down at them :D

my original plan was to house an arapaima in my pond but lets be realistic, how long do you think an arapaima would last if its house in a 15'x8'x3' (LXWXD) pond. im guessing not long and i pretty sure thats the maximum size i can go with out my wife flipping out on me. so since i've always been an arowana fan way before i had my arapaima back home(philippines), i thought why not do an arowana pond. throw in about 8 SR aros in there(which i think would be the max for the size of pond im planning). sick right :D i do miss my pig/arapaima tho. died right on new years when a fire cracker fell in the pond and he ate it thinking it was food :(

Last edited:

CYRUS

sounds like a great plan. Where are you building this??? In the basement?

i live in Richmond so we dont get a basement. i was going to extend my house like a covered patio type then do the pond there. im still debating if i should do a glass roof(green house type) if i do a glass roof i loose alot of heat in winter but in summer it would look really nice tho.

CYRUS

Glass roof would be nice. Natural sunlight can make red aros develop the red color really nice.

well my plan has glass doors so the sunlight can come in through the doors.
its just that i loose so much heat when i go with glass roof :confused: