LF ceramic rings. bio home or bac. house

arl

Anybody know where I can get them in CAnada or even US? Just finished my filter box and there is still enough room for about 40 KG of ceramic rings.

carcrazy

40 kg? That must be a huge filter! Can you describe it for us? I am just in the process of building a diy wet/dry filter for my 270g and would love to hear how you designed your filter.

arl

It's filtering 4'WX8'LX3'H Tank. Here's a link to my tank build http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85132
It has a tank-flush-cleaning concept built into the tank. The biofilter that I am replacing is a Bakki shower which is very expensive to maintain in cold places because it cools the water too much and creates too much moisture. Bakki shower breaksdown water to small molecules and was said to even cut down your nitrates and also makes the water rich in oxygen The filter box that I did is 1.5W X3'HX3'L and it's just a sump style submerged media filter with just one chamber for the media, about 2/3 of the box. other 1/3 is for the return.

aznaro8

Hey just noticed you're in Saskatchewan. Where abouts are you?

Have you considered pot scrubbers? Could be a much cheaper alternative. It's like $1 for a bag of 6 or 8 at Dollarama.

arl

Hey just noticed you're in Saskatchewan. Where abouts are you?

Have you considered pot scrubbers? Could be a much cheaper alternative. It's like $1 for a bag of 6 or 8 at Dollarama.

I'm in Regina, the city that rhymes with "FUN :D". Yeah I'll probably be getting some scrubbies latter. The medias that I am looking for is probably too expensive here anyways. Hopefully next near I'll be able to get some in Singapore.

EEYY on this forum might have some leads for you?

Have you considered getting into these higher end medias? I am sure there's a good market for them here in Canada. They almost go hand in hand with aros and kois. With your contacts and experience you'll be able to source it out cheaper. And they don't expire :D :D

Not for this one at this moment.
Any plans on getting into them? There's probably no dealer yet here in Canada (maybe even US) for bacteria house and bio home and ceramic rings that doesn't crumble.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Funny you should ask. I do have a very solid lead. In fact, it processed to the point of quotes and talk of distributorship, etc.

But I am not really a businessman, nor do I want a ton (yes a ton) of "rocks" in my basement. That said, were we all across Canada to cooperate, maybe we could do it together. It would be the "mother of all group buys".

The product would be imported and we would need to break it up into units for shipment to various club members across this great land of ours. I bet the Vancouver members of the Dragonfish club and BCAquaria would be in for say, 500-1000 lbs. That would leave another 1500 lbs to distribute elsewhere in Canada.

Pardon the pun, but we could get the price down to "rock" bottom! :D
It would probably cost us in the range of $10 per kilo given current exchange rates. Currency fluctuation has added cost to what I was quoted a few months ago. I'd guess the stuff would sell well if retailed at $15-20 per kilo. Alternatively, wholesale the lot for like $12 per kilo?

Whoever took the trouble to import and distribute the stuff could probably come out of the whole operation with their filter media cost covered, a few hundred bucks to offset time and expenses, and of course - a premium product for use in their tanks.

If there is demand, it could be done. Personally, I bought enough bio-rings in Thailand to meet my own needs for now. If any one wants to arrange a massive group-buy import, I am happy to pass on my contact information.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

carcrazy

This sounds really interesting. If a group buy develops I would be interested as I am setting up a sump for my new 270g tank. It has two overflows so I could make two sumps, one with scrubbies and one with ceramic media.

arl

$15 a kilo is a good price for those medias, but I guess you're right, the distribution will be the problem for a "TON" of this :D. Hopefully somebody or a group who has the logistics will pick up on this.

EEYY

To me, I would like to see some demand on east coast first. Has to be in bulk order rather than on per kg basis.