mini indo dats

aaronc

i bought a bunch of indo dats, and i was wondering whats the best way to grow them? i got them on bloodworms, brine shrimp, mp and silversides.they are around 1.5" what do you guys feed your tiny dats?

m_class2g

Sponsor
sounds like you got it covered. if you want them to grow faster, feed pellets. hikari arowana pellets does the trick. i usually feed pellets and mp. have a big tank with a lot of filtration since they poo a lot lol

Marowana420

hikari aro sticks do wonders for my baby indos. i break the sticks in half. there is a huge difference in size on the ones that accept pellets and the ones that dont.

bcarlos

I feed mine hikari blood worms, brine shrimp and massivore sinking pellets. Either way you cut it, dats are slow growing, but they're well worth the patience.

aaronc

the only reason i still only feed frozen is i can't get them to eat pellets, kinda a pain. lol ...i guess you guys get these questions alot, how do you train them to eat pellets? they are small so hope they can easily adapt.

bcarlos

What I've found with dats is that all it takes is one fish to start a trend in the entire group. Be patient, starve them for a few days and maybe drop the water level a bit. In time, they'll experiement and once one does it, they will all follow suit.

m_class2g

Sponsor
What I've found with dats is that all it takes is one fish to start a trend in the entire group. Be patient, starve them for a few days and maybe drop the water level a bit. In time, they'll experiement and once one does it, they will all follow suit.

yup thats the way to do it. how are your indos carlos?

aaronc

alright thanks, will try to do that over the next week.

m_class2g

Sponsor
just keep throwing in food. the little guys will eat them in no time! make sure the pellets you throw in are small enough for them to eat!

aaronc

okok...i guess the last ones were a bit too big haha, btw what kind of bottom cleaners do you guys use? im at school most the time and travelling back and forth, so i might get some bottom cleaners to eat some uneaten food. im debating between clown loaches or some sort of catfish. stingrays are out of budget for now.

bcarlos

Aaron, I can always help you with finding the right pleco for you :)

I actually keep a pair of baryancistrus "gold nuggets" because they are largely carnivore and eat up any excess blood worms or massivore. They do a great job of eating up any left overs. You've got to be careful with these guys, though, because they are aggressive. Keep some driftwood in there for hiding spots. Dats are pretty tough and have handled them fine so far.

If you're willing to spend a little extra, L46 zebras are a nice choice too, as they are largely carnivore. Don't expect to see them out too often, though, as they like to hide.

I don't have too much experience with loaches, but Mike could attest to whether they do well with dats or not.

okok...i guess the last ones were a bit too big haha, btw what kind of bottom cleaners do you guys use? im at school most the time and travelling back and forth, so i might get some bottom cleaners to eat some uneaten food. im debating between clown loaches or some sort of catfish. stingrays are out of budget for now.

aaronc

im still saving up for the zebras, but still a far way to go. the only reason im asking about loaches is because i might be able to keep them together in the long run. any other species to keep together as a grow out?

peacockbass

geophagus are nice bottom feeders...they made great tank mates for my tigers and PG when i had them all together....they even ate SW and crix once they saw everyone else eating them....

aaronc

thanks peacockbass, i mixed some vieja argentea with them now and they are a decent size now well around 3" for the largest ones but some are still small around 1.5". hopefully those will catch up as well.