NEED HELP, NEW TO DATS

joshhoward

hi there
i just picked up a 10" or so indo dat for a really good price. $75 is good for that isnt it?
anyway its my first time keeping a dat, its in a 150 gallon with a green severum amost as big as it is.
can you guys give me advice on water, food, and just keeping it healthy if theres anything special i need to know.

also will it eat my clowns? i have 11 and they do hide behind my big driftwood pile...
thanks in advance!

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
That's a very good price!!

How big are the clowns? If he's a healthy 10" tiger, he'll have a very good appetite.

Tigers can be finicky eaters but not always. In general their diet can be market shrimp, superworms, tilapia strips, pellets, frozen bait fish, etc. What was the previous owner feeding him?

Insofar as water goes, they like very clean water with temps between 27-30C. Some people add salt but I'm not sure it's necessary unless dealing with an injury.

joshhoward

the clowns are all roughly around 4-5"
so far he hasnt eaten. i threw in some dew worms which is what i was told the previous owner fed it.
maybe it will take him a few days to settle in?

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
I wouldn't worry about the clowns, they are too big for him to eat.

Give him a few days to settle in. Tigers can pout and sit in the corner with their tail up and not eat for awhile if their fav food is not presented. If he's healthy he can go a long stretch without eating.

Do keep an eye on the sev, they can be pretty aggressive and you want to make sure the tiger is not getting bullied by the severum. :)

joshhoward

the tiger is the one pushin the sev around. yeah he doesnt seem to care about the clowns and he is kinda pouting in corners. im sure he'll come around tho. thanks for the info

m_class2g

Sponsor
75 is a really good price for a big indo. i feed prawn, freeze dried krill and pellets (both hkari arowana and hikari massivore works for me)

i keep my temp at 83

i add a little bit of salt to my tank and buffer with crush coral.

tigers are super easy to care for. not too picky with ph just clean water. do a lot of water changes because they produce A LOT of waste.