New to AC

Hey guys, name's Erratic-Fish-Finatic or EFF for short and I currently live in Mississauga Ontario. I've cared for numerous aros in the past, primary Silver and jardini arowanas. My last arowana ( which was a 15" Silver ) died 2 years when it got spooked by my 2 Oscars chasing eachother and jumped ship if you know what I mean. After that incident I've decided never to keep arowanas again, but just last week I went to Lucky Aquarium in Markham and saw some beautiful reds, chilly reds and RTGs. After seeing them I realized how beautiful these fish can be and decided to purchase one. I'm just getting into keeping Asian aros and thought that a juvenile Banjar red would be a good introduction to the Asian aro scene. This is my first Asian aro that I have owned and hope everyone here can help me out in learning about these marvelous beasts. My Juvie Banjar is currently 4" and is inhabiting a 50 gallon for now, but will be moved into a 150 gallon once he reaches 8"-10". I'm feeding him a strict diet of premium pellets including Hikari floating carnivore sticks, Hikari cichlid gold floating pellets, SERA AROWANA pellets and once a week defrosted whole shrimp ( head and tail removed of course). I don't intent on ever feeding him live feeders from the store because they contain harmful bacteria and growth inhibitors, I'm going to feed him some home bred 1" baby convict cichlids though once every 2 months though. I also have him in a black water setup using SERA black water peat solution at 82d F. So far so good, he's healthy and doesn't have any stress signs, he's also learning to trust me more as I hand feed him at least once a day with the floating sticks.

Last edited:

EEYY

Welcome any arowana keeper in TO.

I can see you are moving up. Your next arowana must be RTG or above.

So far, your preparation sounds okay to me.

tomuhs

Welcome!

Awesome story. So sad to hear about your silver.

I'm going to be venturing into the Asian Aro world for the first time as well. I've kept Kois and some tropical fish since I was a kid and I hope to learn a lot out this experience as well.

Hopefully you'll have a strong lid setup in case your Banjar decides to jump ship :D

Welcome any arowana keeper in TO.

I can see you are moving up. Your next arowana must be RTG or above.

So far, your preparation sounds okay to me.

I actually wanted to buy a juvie RTG that day but didn't have the cash lol, so I settled for the banjar instead which is still a good aro though. Would you recommend Nan lights? I read up on them and know where to purchase them, but from what I read it's just lighting which is on the red spectrum so it just makes the look brighter than it actually is. Would a lizard UV light tube suffice as a good substitute?

Welcome!

Awesome story. So sad to hear about your silver.

I'm going to be venturing into the Asian Aro world for the first time as well. I've kept Kois and some tropical fish since I was a kid and I hope to learn a lot out this experience as well.

Hopefully you'll have a strong lid setup in case your Banjar decides to jump ship :D

Thanks man, good luck to you as well. Not to worry this time around, my tank is now in my living room and the glass canopy I have on top is roughly 10lbs. I added 2 extra 5lb weights at the ends of the lid to make sure my new aro can't escape. My BjR bit my fingers this morning though while I was hand feeding him, seems the Asian aros get confident real fast lol, only been 4 days since I bought him.

Last edited:

xbacala

I use "Baby Safety Latch" to lock my glass top for my tank. It's very safe and nice, you can buy in Walmart.

With that lock, no way the aro can jump out :)

Something like this:
61xd1WrQzcL._AA1000_.jpg