nitrite?

hugh

help help!!!!!nitrite?

hello all,

i did my regular check for nitrtite tonight and found that i have i 0.25ppm of nitrite in my tank. what is going on? i had the tank cycle for 3 months and i have been testing it regularly and all of a sudden i have a small form of nitrite in my tank. right now i have my RTG in there and it seems like he is breathing heavier than normal, his mouth opens and close faster. what can i do to get rid of the nitrite?

Last edited:

kookus

do you have any substrate? doing a small water change is also very helpful. Sometimes substrates hold gasses if the substrate is not stirred up a little to release the gas it can build up in a tank and eventually release into the water. I always give t a stir then I do the water change. Hope this helps.

To answer your q, imo do small water changes more often.

hugh

do you have any substrate? doing a small water change is also very helpful. Sometimes substrates hold gasses if the substrate is not stirred up a little to release the gas it can build up in a tank and eventually release into the water. I always give t a stir then I do the water change. Hope this helps.

To answer your q, imo do small water changes more often.

i don't like to use substrate so my tank is bare bottom, i did a WC on saturday. thanks for replying.

h.l_nathan

hugh usually after you change your media it will show a bit of nitrite and some amonia, but after a few days things will go back to norm.
i usually rince the media in old aquarium water, then leave it in there for a day or 2 b4 i change my media.

kookus

i always choose one. either change/wash the media or water change for a bare bottom tank. never both. but since i use a sand substrate i do both some times. hope your aro does better.

hugh

hey all, thanks for all the replies, my nitrite is at 0 and my aro is doing well and looking very happy.