NTT's and sudden death syndrome

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I just got back from out of town to find that a couple NTT's I had inadvertently left in a 150 gallon tank for the month without food or lights are doing okay (although a little emaciated). I am now feeding them feeders and they look set to recover.

As for the rest of the 160 NTT's I imported and sold to various people across Canada, I have heard mixed news. Quite a few people have told me they have lost some or even all of the fish they bought. I have heard before (and experienced first hand) that NTT's are prone to some kind of unexplained "sudden death syndrome". Could this be the cause of the high mortality? I wonder what this "sudden death syndrome" is?

My personal theory is that NTT's are extremely sensitive to changes in water parameters. When I received the shipment, it was accompanied by a water test bag. It is common practise for fish farms or dealers from Asia to send along a sample of the water for testing purposes which is the same water used in the fish bags. In my case, I usually make sure that my tank water matches the test water as closely as possible before I go through the acclimatization process of adding tank water to the fish bags. Using this process I had very good luck with the NTT's when I put them in my tank and very low mortality. I know that when the fish were sold the Ph of my tank was well below neutral, around 6.4-6.5. Could it be that they went to tanks that had higher Ph and thus did not adjust well? I also know that the fish had been quarantined using a standard anti-parasite medication prior to their sale and that they all seemed to respond well to the treatment. Could some parasites somehow have made it through the treatment?

I am left with quite a few questions. The biggest question of all is, in future, what can I do differently to improve the long term chances of success for the fish?

Last edited:

carcrazy

That really sucks, it sounds like you tried your best to send healthy dats. I only have two, an ntt and an it. They were both larger when I bought them than the ones you shipped, 4" and 9" respectively and have had no problems. Maybe the really small ones are more sensitive to water parameters as you suspect and do not react to stress as well.

hondas3000

It is not just the water that kill them, its the eating part too. Its hard to get them to eat, maybe because they are so small.

m_class2g

Sponsor
It is not just the water that kill them, its the eating part too. Its hard to get them to eat, maybe because they are so small.

i found it pretty easy to care for the ntts. i kept the water at 86. put them in a small tank. added a bit of salt to the water. obviously a well cycled tank. what i did was fed bloodworms for 2 weeks. 3 times a day. they then started eating freeze dried krill shortly afterwards. i bought 3 ntts from theo and none died.

also found they should be kept in small tanks when they are 2 inches. i had them in a 20 gal then a 30 gal. honda and theo, if im not mistaken, yours was kept in a pretty big tank. if you keep them in a tank that big, they wont feed well. even in my 20 gal they didnt want to venture out too far to eat.

i do this with every dat. small indos as well. worked for me! havent lost one yet.