Old (Blood) Super Reds?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I have enjoyed reading the discussion about the "Old Time XB"; I am wondering what everyone's opinions/knowledge are abou the Super Reds. Obviously the Tong Yan is an SR/XB cross; but is a Chilli SR also a cross? It seems to have more yellow in it? Could it be that "once upon a time" breeders crossed yelow tail or banjars with a "true" Blood SR to yield the Chilli SR?

What should be made of breeders claims to be able to provide Chilli SR's and Blood SR's? Is the "power red" with its true red colour a distinct colour varient from the Chilli variety? If the Chilli variety is a hybrid Blood, did this hybridization come from breeders or did it occur naturally in the wild as fish moved between water sheds?

I know I have a lot of questions! :rolleyes:

xbackgolden

I have enjoyed reading the discussion about the "Old Time XB"; I am wondering what everyone's opinions/knowledge are abou the Super Reds. Obviously the Tong Yan is an SR/XB cross; but is a Chilli SR also a cross? It seems to have more yellow in it? Could it be that "once upon a time" breeders crossed yelow tail or banjars with a "true" Blood SR to yield the Chilli SR?

What should be made of breeders claims to be able to provide Chilli SR's and Blood SR's? Is the "power red" with its true red colour a distinct colour varient from the Chilli variety? If the Chilli variety is a hybrid Blood, did this hybridization come from breeders or did it occur naturally in the wild as fish moved between water sheds?

Guess, you gotta check with your indonesian contacts and see if they wanna be truthful. back where i come from, Super red farming is reasonably limited. But someone did mention before that they are 2 similar species but its just that they occur in different parts of the Kapus River

arl

My understanding is the same as xbackgolden, chilli red and blood reds are 2 natural breeds found in different areas in Kalimantan. Back then blood reds are more common/more abundant than chilli reds and was cheaper, despite being more red and turns red faster than chilli. Chilli takes longer to turn red but is rarer so was actually more expensive than blood red. Chilli red was more indemand because of its body shape, fins and more massive compared to blood red. FArms have mixed up this two breeds, probably for the same reason xb farmers do and that's what most of our reds are now. Most farms went the chilli red look path since they are more popular and in demand. But it seems now demand is more to being RED rather than the shape so probably farms are gonna be shifting to the blood red look/color more now.

arl

I guess to know really if chilli red is a NATURAL mix with another species (RTG), would be a tough question. If it was mixed by the farm, I guess we'll know latter with some inside info from the indo-farm personels. But thinking about it, red pigmentation is already hard to bring out even at the "pure" breeds. Mixing it would make it tougher. Take fore instance 1.5, even if it was a 50/50 mix the difference is so obvious, 1.5 doesn't even have a chance to have a red on the scale. Even TY most of them are towards the gold marely making it look copperish.

xbackgolden

I guess to know really if chilli red is a NATURAL mix with another species (RTG), would be a tough question. If it was mixed by the farm, I guess we'll know latter with some inside info from the indo-farm personels. But thinking about it, red pigmentation is already hard to bring out even at the "pure" breeds. Mixing it would make it tougher. Take fore instance 1.5, even if it was a 50/50 mix the difference is so obvious, 1.5 doesn't even have a chance to have a red on the scale. Even TY most of them are towards the gold marely making it look copperish.

Very true. Right now, Pure blood red and pure xbacks are quite hard to find. From what i know, only Munjul Farm in indonesia still sticks to breeding the pure bloodline reds. As for Xbacks, because they are not so popular, only the old farms in Singapore still have them.

Yuppa

Super Moderator
well my understanding, chili will have a nice spoon head, blood will have bullet head.. chili has a <> shaped tail where blood has <| shaped tail..
regarding coloration, following photo galleries on both types of red for years, in my opinion there is not a lot of difference in color development.

Nowadays I almost never see blood red, even some recent fish I have seen labelled as blood red are chili in my opinion.