Operation went wrong...

EKen

Super Moderator
No just kidding.

I recently, along with the help of my girlfriend, op'ed my Blood Red fins. Everything went well and the fish reacted well to the product, so I decided to op my Chilli Red's tail also. His tail was injured some time ago and grew out a bit fuzzy. It was no big deal, but it kept on bugging me.

Here's a picture of his tail before:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 559

EKen

Super Moderator
So I bagged him and sedated him. It took much longer than the Blood Red since he was a much bigger fish, and I went slow on adding the sedative, just to make sure. Once the fish was in a stable state, I held the fish and spread the tail, allowing my girlfriend to cut it.

Here are some pictures of the fish, half KO. For those who wondered what is the "real color" of my fish, the pictures were taking with no lights (well room lights of course) and with flash:

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 531
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:

EKen

Super Moderator
The fish took about 5-10 min. to recover, a bit longer than the Blood Red. It scared me a bit seeing him struggle in the tank, but everything went well after a couple of minutes. And he ate about 20 min. later...

Here's the final product of the Chilli Red tail:

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:

T1KARMANN

WOW you are braver than me i have only done 1 op on a aro and that was pricking the barbels to make them grow back

it wasnt my aro my freinds but it worked well :D

great color on the chilli red

EKen

Super Moderator
Thanks for the comments guys. The fish is from Dragon Fish Industry. Op'ing a fish is pretty exciting, I am starting to like the adrenaline out of it.

homebrewed

Super Moderator
Looks like you did a good job.

The fish looks great in the pictures with the box

Do people ever do operations on their fishes tail to achieve a certian look. Sort of like VIP's diamond tails.

kookus

Pretty crazy. Did the Fish squirm at all when it was being trimmed? or was it just like dead weight?

EKen

Super Moderator
Rulaifu:
I am not a "doctor" yet, so I only treat my own patients :)

Homebrewed:
Thanks. The fish already had a diamond tail, but it was damaged some time ago. So I kind of followed the pattern when I cut it. But I believe some people do cut their fish tail a certain "style" as I have seen many "unnatural" tail pattern. I did not use a box, what you see in the picture is the plastic bag, I op'ed the fish directly from the bag, as I did not want the fish out of the water, risking of missing air for too long and causing SBP.

Kookus:
I did not use transmore, as I couldn't find any since it's illegal here in Canada. I used a product bought off Ebay, a mild sedative. So the fish wasn't completly knock out, so not completly dead weight but pretty cooperative.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Rulaifu:
I am not a "doctor" yet, so I only treat my own patients :)

Homebrewed:
Thanks. The fish already had a diamond tail, but it was damaged some time ago. So I kind of followed the pattern when I cut it. But I believe some people do cut their fish tail a certain "style" as I have seen many "unnatural" tail pattern. I did not use a box, what you see in the picture is the plastic bag, I op'ed the fish directly from the bag, as I did not want the fish out of the water, risking of missing air for too long and causing SBP.

Kookus:
I did not use transmore, as I couldn't find any since it's illegal here in Canada. I used a product bought off Ebay, a mild sedative. So the fish wasn't completly knock out, so not completly dead weight but pretty cooperative.

That is one amazing operation you did! I think you should import the photos into an MS Word document and write up a little story to accompany it. What do you think? :)

EKen

Super Moderator
Ah man. that sounds like so much work... :D

Well maybe a bit later when I get more free time. But I sure like to read up more on fish cosmetic surgeries. I think right now, people who are really good at it keep it a bit secret. I don't think there is much documentation on it yet, at least in Canada.

FOSSILFISH

Congratulations Eken, or should I say Dr. Eken. your arow looks amazing.
Good on you, for taking the initiative. What type of anestheasia did you use? I may need some for when I move my Aro to his new home.
I use to use HYPNO, but can't get that anymore.:D

P.S.

Nice WATER MARK on your pics.

Last edited:

EKen

Super Moderator
Congratulations Eken, or should I say Dr. Eken. your arow looks amazing.
Good on you, for taking the initiative. What type of anestheasia did you use? I may need some for when I move my Aro to his new home.
I use to use HYPNO, but can't get that anymore.:D

P.S.

Nice WATER MARK on your pics.

Ok Ok, I have to be honest. I did not do all the work, my girlfriend actually did the cutting... :(

My next experiment's gonna be drop eye operation. I am thinking of getting a silver to practise... We'll see how that turns out.

I'll start a new thread later on operations procedure, an article sounds too serious for me... I'll leave that to forums owner... :D

Last edited:

FOSSILFISH

Ok Ok, I have to be honest. I did not do all the work, my girlfriend actually did the cutting... :(

My next experiment's gonna be drop eye operation. I am thinking of getting a silver to practise... We'll see how that turns out.

I'll start a new thread later on operations procedure, an article sounds too serious for me... I'll leave that to forums owner... :D

Wow,
Sure sounds like a DOCTOR to be in the making. If your willing to experiment and see how it's really done, then you are really on your way.
For my self, I will stick to the fin & gill trimming, Ill leave the eyes alone.
Just got to get the proper anestheasia on hand.

Hey Eken, do you know of any natural anestheasia for fish?:D