peacock bass

ninjaturtle

are the $15 PB commonly sold in the GTA the ones we see ppl have with like yellow/greenish skin with red, black and white markings? cuz ive seen some pale colored PB n they looked like shit..

jackson

I think those ones are farm raised and they are called Cichla Monoculus. I am not 100% sure. I would not buy them they dont turn out to nice. Go for some WC PB they are great looking fish any type. My Favorite are the Temensis. I have 3 WC Tem's about 5-6 months old. Great looking fish and they are sort of mean to the other fish but nothing bad. They are getting big I got them at 2-3'' they are now 10-13''. They are funny fish they have a pecking order that really shows.

jackson

Mine dont bother mine but they are not full grown yet. I will have to take them out once they become more aggressive than they are. You could try I see many guy's keeping them in the same tank.

CORVETTE

I'm keeping a green aro with my peacocks and the aro puches them around most of the time. I've even gotten up in the morning to find elongated bite marks on some of my PB's wonder who did that? you can see my tank in full tank shots. i have 3 Temensis and 3ocellaris.

eddie73

Are they aggressive for aros?

from my personal experience, PBs are aggresive predators but poor fighters.

They are fast in catching prey but often being bulied by Aros.

The PBs I have kept before were together with my Kois (the pond is not with me anymore). Even my kois picked on them sometimes :p

JMorash

I've kept a good 20 or so Cichla (Tememsis, Orinocoensis, Piquiti, Monoculus, Ocellaris) and I've never had a problem with them being too aggressive. They feed much quicker than my arowana does, but as long as you keep an eye on it and make sure they don't take all the food you should be fine.

The cheaper pet store cichla are usually Tems or Monos. Both are extremely beautiful fish, but in two different ways. Tems start off dark, with wicked white markings and red tails, they grow to be an ultra large gold cichla with very few markings, and still that nice tail. Monos start off pretty plain, and grow into a bright yellow cichla with bold black markings and a huge robust head.

Growing cichla is all about proper feeding and water conditions. If you feed them too much, they can grow up quite washed out, but if you give them ample feedings of high quality, color enhancing foods they mature to be incredibly beautiful fish. These fish eat A LOT, so much I had to stop keeping them because they ate me out of house an home. Keeping them robust enough that their true shape and color shine through isn't always easy, especially when you have a lot of them.

Since these fish eat soooo much they tend to dirty up water a lot, but if you want to see them brighten up, you want to keep your conditions pristine. Also assuring that the fish are stressed for no reason. I find the first thing to go in a cichla when stressed is color.

Another thing I can suggest to make sure you grow nice cichla up is try to get them wc, genetics will usually be better in this case, so it's a safer bet they will grow up gorgeous.

Good Luck,

Justin Morash

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
I plan on eventually having these wc occelaris in with my aro, dats, and bichirs. Everything I've read suggests they do well together. They're between 7-9" and in a 125 for now.

dec29pbass1.jpg

carcrazy

Mine look a little like that but not as bright a green, more yellowish green and no yellow spots. They are also around 9" or so and I feed shrimp (they eat a lot like everyone said). They only seem to pick on each other sometimes when the l tank lights go off, otherwise they are usually side by side in the tank. Hopefully, they will stay just as peaceful when they get larger.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Mine look a little like that but not as bright a green, more yellowish green and no yellow spots. They are also around 9" or so and I feed shrimp (they eat a lot like everyone said). They only seem to pick on each other sometimes when the l tank lights go off, otherwise they are usually side by side in the tank. Hopefully, they will stay just as peaceful when they get larger.

Where did you get yours from? Yew Wing?

carcrazy

Yes, yours too? He seems to get some interesting fish. He had a marbled bichir that was quite nice the last time I was in but I couldn't afford it as I'd just put a deposit on my aro.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Mine came from a different source. If you're referring to the ornate bichir, I bought it on boxing day. Yew Wing gave me a hell of a deal. :D

carcrazy

No, I came in the day after boxing day and he had in his own marbled bichir (that's what he called it) for sale. It was light brown colored with random darker spots on it but not as dark as an ornate bichir. It was about 9" long.

carcrazy

Yeah, that's the one. He was a little too much for me as well at the time. I was also looking at his black ghost knife in the adjacent tank. She looked pretty healthy and was a good size. If she's still there next time, maybe...