Powerhead- good or bad???

CHILLI RED

Is a powerhead good to put in a arowana tank? I heard that the stronger current that it makes will make the arowana stronger.

MananaP

i guess it's good when you have a bigger tank...better in cycling water thus means cleaner water for you aro's...

homebrewed

Super Moderator
I agree

It also seems to get my aro to feed better because he is constantly swimming against the current

CHILLI RED

What size or brand of powerhead is best? My tank is 150 gallon. 4'x2'x2.5' Thanks for your advice everyone!

carcrazy

I use two maxijet 1200's with 2 hydrosponge 5 each for mechanical filtration. The maxijets make a lot of flow for their size. I also used a Hydor Koralia 4 for a while which also worked well and used very little power. I removed it because I had plenty of current from my 3 canister filters and sump return.

Arodynamic

Don't forget, Asians normally come from sedate and near stagnant waters in the far East- some aeration is OK but turning the tank into a jacuzzi is a definate no no and will stress the aro out.

carcrazy

I would like to reduce the surface agitation from the canister filters for my aro but I have 2 rays that like the extra oxygen. How much turbulence do you think is required to fully saturate the water with oxygen? I could connect them to spray bars instead of a jet to reduce the linear flow. My aro seems to sometimes damage his scales and I think maybe the surface agitation may be causing him stress. The water parameters are all good (80 - 100% water changes per week).

CHILLI RED

I use two maxijet 1200's with 2 hydrosponge 5 each for mechanical filtration. The maxijets make a lot of flow for their size. I also used a Hydor Koralia 4 for a while which also worked well and used very little power. I removed it because I had plenty of current from my 3 canister filters and sump return.

Which brand do you guys prefer? I went to big als and saw they carry these maxijet 1200's and also the hydor koralia's. I think the hydor's were rated for a higher flow than the maxijets. I know I dont want too high a flow rate but want to buy good quality and want whats best for an arowana. I have 2 cannister filters that stir up the water returning the water and also an airstone. Is it really beneficial to add the power head? Thanks.

carcrazy

I never tried the Seio powerhead but if I had a choice between the Koralia 4 and the maxijet 1200 I'd go with the Koralia. It has a wider flow and can be placed anywhere in the tank. I have Vortec powerheads in my saltwater tank which works pretty much the same way but is a lot more expensive (the flow can be controlled like a wavemaker).

covers

I would like to reduce the surface agitation from the canister filters for my aro but I have 2 rays that like the extra oxygen. How much turbulence do you think is required to fully saturate the water with oxygen? I could connect them to spray bars instead of a jet to reduce the linear flow. My aro seems to sometimes damage his scales and I think maybe the surface agitation may be causing him stress. The water parameters are all good (80 - 100% water changes per week).

you do an 80-100% water change per week?

danfong88

If I were you, I would use magjet 1200 (maybe wrong spelling)

The model is 4 1200 gal, it uses 12 watts. I think they sell them at Big Al's. I am thinking about getting one too. I have older power head, and it does make the my RTG more aggresive. But it does prevent any dead water flow.
But, I would not worry... the arowana are very hardy fish.... strong.