pump for ultimaII2000

carcrazy

I just bought an UltimaII 2000 pond filter to use on my 275g and 320g aquariums (if I can figure out how to get them to exchange water in a closed loop). The instructions recommend using a 2000 gph pump for ponds of 2000g, the maximum rating for the filter. But my system only has about 500g max. Does anyone know if a smaller pump with a 500 gph rating would work? I am trying to cut down on the number of amps used as the electrical load is starting to get kind of high by using the smallest pump I can.

Does anyone else use this filter? I know that the owner of my lfs (200 km away) does, so I can always ask him. He's using a couple of them in his store as well as one for his own five aquariums at his home. They seem to be really nice filters but the cost is still giving me spasms ($900 Canadian).:eek:

homebrewed

Super Moderator
Good pickup

As for smaller pumps I'd imagine it would work but it wouldn't be nearly as effective having 1/4 the power recommended. Plus (if I'm not mistaken) the backwash valve relies on the pressure from the pump to clean itself out so you would be losing out there as well.

Ewing has been trying to get me to buy one for ever. One day I will. I like their compact size. Apparently these filters are what Mike from H2O uses at his ray facility

carcrazy

I think you're right Homebrewed, the backwash would probably not work without enough pressure. A big selling feature for me was the ease in cleaning the filter without having to take it apart. I guess I'll just have to use a large pump on it, I have a Reeflo Baracuda that should be enough.

I think that I can get the filter to work on both tanks by making a common sump for the two tanks. I could then filter the sump. Now if I can just figure out how to plumb the two tanks that are on opposite sides of the room.

carcrazy

Thanks. I decided to use my Barracuda pump. It should have enough flow for backwashing as it has an output of about 3000 gph at 10'. I have had it set up for a week now and it is working well.