Quaility

isjah

Ok folks, i don't know if this was ever discussed before i'm sure it probably has. My question is, Who believe we in Canada is getting top quality Aro's? I think everyone could agree we do not get Japan or China quality aro's and the second part of this question would be to the importers of aro's, if we could get a group buy of top quality aro's say reds how much would it cost? Cause i would love for us in canada to show off our fish and when we look at the other aro's in the world we could say ours look the same. Let the discussion begin. Please if you view this message give your input.

Marius

Let me see... are you willing to pay 15, 20 thousands for some exceptional pieces?!? My guess would be no :). The arowanas that Theo brings through Panda are personally selected by Mr. Kan, ensuring that top notch specimens are making their way to the Canadian market.

Just take a look at Mike's chili red, solid color, impeccable body ...and many, many more. If you want an arowana in particular feel free to contact myself or Theo (Cirrus) and we'll be happy to help you find your pet. ;)

isjah

look i'm not trying to step on anyone's foot, but the question was, does anyone believe we are getting the same quality of fishes that japan and china gets?, and if not why? is it the pricing, that those ppl in those countries are willing to pay 15g or 20g, and if so is that the prices for like 6" aro's that are really high in quality?.....Look like i said, i'm not trying to step on ppls feet, it's a forum so i just wanted to see what ppl in canada think, i don't want to be attack or belittled cause my lack of knowledge on this subject. and yes i would love to feel free to contact anyone about finding my pet but i just thought to have an open discussion on this topic.

arl

You can definetely get quality aros here in canada as well. Consider it though that Japan probably imports 20 times more than canada so their share of better looking aros will be more also, and they prefer and pay for quality aros. Buyers will have more quality aros to choose from in those countries than in canada. In a way maybe Japan gets more of the quality aros because that is what their market demands (even with the expensive price) and that is what sellers orders from the farms. I am not into the aro "market" but I think the Canadian aro market is more in the average priced aros than in the "exceptional" aros but I am sure if you tell your supplier that "Quality" is what you want and you are PAYING for it, you get quality aros as well. It is a little bit unfair to say "They send all their quality aros to japan! They don't send us quality aros" when our market demends for average priced aros. FArms wont be sending a 12" full golden head when you pay 1.2K for it. Only age/time will tell you of the arowana's "quality" so Certified quality aros specially SR's are already in the 10"+ range and with all the "quality" that you want in an aro already showing, but you have to PAY expensively for these aros. You can definitely get quality aros here as long as you are willing to pay the price, know what you are looking for and know the right place to get it. For 5" aros I think we get the same quality as japan does as well. Their AAA grade will be just as good quality as the AAA grade they send us. I am sure the quality aros you see from japan are paid for expensively. They didn't get those aros for 1.K.

Last edited:

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
From what I know of the aro market, ALL the top quality aros go to Japan and China, because those guys are dropping 20-30K for fish that many in north america wouldn't pay 3K for at 6-8" fish. Same with bichirs and other species. Peacock bass same thing.

Think about it. To ship top grade aros to Canada at 6" for under 3K in a very limited market or grow out for a year and then sell to japanese for 20-30K, which already buys most of the top grade stuff to begin with. The math is pretty simple.

isjah

so the next of the questions to importers, just for info, whats the going rate for AAA grade aro's?, maybe there will enought interest so the importers could do a group buy.

Eatman

hmm, i think the 20-30k aros are the rarer ones, but as for AAA grade golden heads, I recall seeing them for 1700-2500 on arofanatics... don't know if that's USD or SGD though. But you have to factor in the costs of shipping it over here and such, and that doesn't sound cheap.

Kenta

Administrator
Where are people getting these prices for aros in Japan?

I agree that some aros have sold for a large sum of money, but that is only full grown confirmed high quality adults. Arowanas here in Canada are cheaper because small fish are unconfirmed, only can show potential to be of certain quality.

Thats the great part of raising aros though, grow them out and see how they turn out. Its a balance between skill and genetics... if you buy an arowana and expect it to turn out a certain way you open yourself up to disappointment... they vary so much

Marius

Where are people getting these prices for aros in Japan?

I agree that some aros have sold for a large sum of money, but that is only full grown confirmed high quality adults. Arowanas here in Canada are cheaper because small fish are unconfirmed, only can show potential to be of certain quality.

Thats the great part of raising aros though, grow them out and see how they turn out. Its a balance between skill and genetics... if you buy an arowana and expect it to turn out a certain way you open yourself up to disappointment... they vary so much

Not to mention that one can pay more for a 12"+ and still fuck it up so to speak. As Kenta mentioned, it's all about the balance.