Red Dragon FH

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Thanks to Rufr for the Red Dragon from Bangkok (see: http://www.arowanaclub.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=3547). Its been fun to raise a feisty FH. They are such easy fish to care for and have a lively personality; however, my kids seem set on my doing a marine tank (dwarf lion fish), so this FH will likely be looking for a new home soon.

Last edited:

exoticaquaria

well done theo. he looks awesome. huge kok. he got pretty big in just a few months! who took care of him and did wc while you were in europe?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Its a 90 gallon tank, so it went a month without a water change fine; and I got family to help with feeding. One problem with converting this plexi tank to marine is that it is not drilled for a sump; I'll need to get some kind of hang on the back unit I guess? When time comes I'll likely ask you for some advice.

Theo drill it and go with a sump you'll be happier in the long run. You can come by the shop anytime and can go over options ( come see the AI sol blue LEDs they look awesome ). Let me know if your gonna part with the flowerhorn as I may be interested

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Theo drill it and go with a sump you'll be happier in the long run. You can come by the shop anytime and can go over options ( come see the AI sol blue LEDs they look awesome ). Let me know if your gonna part with the flowerhorn as I may be interested

I'd love to do what you suggest, my only worry is the tank being acrylic and having been set up for over a year now; I'd hate to have it "spider crack" somehow while drilling holes in its bottom. I went by Industrial Plastics the other day to chat with them about drilling my acrylic sump (the one I am going to drill so as to create a 24 hour water change system), and they suggested drilling into the acrylic using one of those cirucular serrated drill bits, while having the acrylic being drilled on the floor with a piece of plywood underneath it to add stabilty while drilling. I plan on doing this today, so depending on how that goes I might just take you up on your offer. :)

If you need any advice on anything including info on livestock just give me a call and can help anyway I can. The tank shouldn't have any issues for drilling just take your time if you do go that route. Before you know it you'll have a school of Japanese Dragon morays in there :D

homebrewed

Super Moderator
Great shape on that guy

Drilling is easy peazy. Definatly worth the effort when doing marine. It helps hide everything so nicely

Joey

Beautiful FH Theo!

what size is he now? His Kok seams huge for his size!

The bottom of your tank will be fine to drill. It will be no different drilling it now, then the day you got it. (sides and front/back panels are not though)

The bottom panel will be easier to drill now, then it was on day one. Acrylic absorbs a very small amount of water over time, making it more flexible. So drilling it will be easier.

The front and back panel will be a bit different as they will be bowed slightly. If they didnt bow at all, then they are good to go as well.

Drill it with the saw type of hole saw you would to drill into wood. If its your first acrylic tank your drilling, i have a video on how to do it.

I have drilled acrylic tanks that were set up for 2 years with out any issues. I've even drilled the brace on a couple tanks, that were still full of water.

All you need is the drill. And another piece of acrylic to build the weir. A router will easily make the teeth on it.

Total time to do both : less than 10 minutes.

Go for it Theo!