RO/DI alternative

mmcgrath

Hey,

Currently im using 75% ro/di water to fill my tanks, and 25 percent tap water left out for 48 hours. Im looking to know if everyone is using RO or if there is an alternative that may keep my bills down a little and my rays still happy.

Thanks.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
What city are you in/near and what kind of water parameters are there? Does your local water supply have both chlorine and chloramine added, or just one?

slednex11

not sure on your water quality but all i use is tap water ran thru 3 carbon locks just to remove the chorine, straight into the tank and sump drilled into the sewer !!

mmcgrath

Im in guelph ontario.
My water is pretty hard, calcium carbonate is visible in pots and other dishes after drying...ph comes out of the tap at just over 8 then drops to 7.5 once its not as aerated. I cant find any info on chloramine in guelph water although off hand im going to say its there. I like the idea of running it through three carbon locks, someone also suggested unhooking the ro part of the filter and just running di so you by pass the need for waste water?

mmcgrath

From my understanding chloramine is extremely hard to get rid of and my ro/di probably does not have enough contact time to begin with...

mmcgrath

Slednex could you please explain your 3 carbon locks and how they work, i have seen several people using pvc pipe filled with activated carbon than running water through that to fill...seems like this would exhaust the carbon pretty fast.

slednex11

I meant to type carbon blocks ! Lol it's just a" whole house filter" canisters piggybacked together to make 3 and I use 3 activated carbon cartridges and goes straight outta the triple filter to the tank and the sump is drilled and plumbed to the sewer with a irrigation valve on the filters and a boiler valve on the sump drain all wired to a transformer to close both valves once the power goes out so the sump doesn't drain below operation volume , I have zero chlorine issues I change all 3 filters at once around 2 months