RTG looses scales

carcrazy

My HBRTG is just recovering from losing 2 scales (healed in just over a week). I added a new 10" tinfoil barb to the community and I noticed the next day that the aro lost another scale near her tail. Is it common for an aro to lose scales this easily?

I don't see any that are raised but she may have hit the side of an algae scraper on the glass. The tinfoil barb won't leave the aro alone, constantly bumping into and following her like a lost puppy. The aro has started to snap a little at the tb which is giving her a little more breathing room.

Yuppa

Super Moderator
no I wouldnt say its common at all..
sound like something is bothing it in the tank, usually they lose scales from jumping or dashing around when startled, however if you just lost a scale from near the tail, that sounds like a fish causing the damage

carcrazy

The new tinfoil barb was bothering her quite a bit when I added him to the tank. It is possible that the stress caused the aro to jump into something, though there isn't a lot in the tank in the way of decorations. The silver dollars are too small (2") to do any damage and the peacock bass are only 3". There is 5" tiger dat as well but it is very shy and never goes to the top. I don't think stingrays would cause this damage either. The aro must have jumped or swam into a powerhead. Things seem to be calmer today so it should work out. Otherwise, the $10 tinfoil will have to go.