RTG not eating

Graeme

I picked up a nice little RTG from the last CVMaui import.

It only took me a week to get him onto prawns and pellets.

I have him in a 135 gallon tank and I recently added 4 geophagus to the tank.

He was fine with the geo's and continued to eat well until I noticed my heater started screwing up. I was experiencing low temps of 73 deg F and high of 81 deg F. I got a new heater and have the temp sitting at 78 deg.

all water parameters are good.

It has now not eaten for 3 days.
Should I be concerned or should I just be patient ?

he is aprox 6-7 inches in size

Aro51

Does it look spooked? I'd say give it a few days. Mine went on a hunger strike for a month after eating when it first came home with me. Just keep up the water changes and make sure it's environment is stable.

tomuhs

Agreed with Aro51; keep things nice and stable and add a bit of salt in order to reduce stress.

Sometimes aros can go on hunger strikes but I find that doing lots of small WC (10-20% every couple of days) will help trigger their appetite. As you suspected, the variation in temp is probably stressing out the Aro. Glad to hear you fixed the heater before things got bad! Do you have only one heater or two?

Try not offering food for a day then feed some MP and see how it goes.

Keep us updated!

exoticaquaria

He should be fine in a few days. You can always increase temp to 80-82. Will stimulate him to feed a lot quicker in higher temp.

Graeme

Thanks for the help I figured he would probably be ok in a few days I just wanted the reassurance. He is not spooked at all and actuality swims around with the geo's when I feed them.
I need to get some pictures of this guy up soon.

exoticaquaria

Thanks for the help I figured he would probably be ok in a few days I just wanted the reassurance. He is not spooked at all and actuality swims around with the geo's when I feed them.
I need to get some pictures of this guy up soon.

as long as hes swimming around fine then he will eat when hes hungry. yea get some pics up!