Setting up a new tank,seeding/cycle and moving the aros...How long?

hustler

Just talked to the tank shop and it looks like my new 300 will be here in a week or so (fingers crossed) and its time to start planning my attack for cycling and seeding it.
I have my 180 gallon upstairs thats been running smooth for a few years and i plan to steal most of its bio and its water when i move the aro's to the new tank downstairs.
I will also have my continuious drip system running on the new tank when i fill it up so i hope this will help in seeding...
Now im wondering.... If i fill it up and do a 40% water change on the 180 right into the 300 and move some of the bio it should kick start the cycle along with stability, and then repeat in a week moving more bio it "should" be cycled and safe by the 3rd week?
In my mind i know this should be very thought out but my memory seems to recal doing this with koi years back just draining it into the new tank...moving all the bio and then fish and your done.... like a big water change and a new tank but the paramiters stay the same.... Ehhh patience is not one of my virtues :)
Chen you did a 2 week cycle didnt you?
Im sweating bullets here lol

chen88

Super Moderator
Yes I cycled the tank for approx. 2 weeks with lots of media from my old tank transferred into the new sump. I did not add all the fish in there all at once but did it in 2-3 weekends first starting with the "Cheapest" to the most expensive! :) recycled water is not that great as you are better with clean water with cycled media!....

hustler

That seems to be the plan for sure... Only problem i have is the arowanas fighting when i seperate them.... I guess ill have to buy more lol. I love those banded silver dollars you have, Ive never even heard of them before i saw your pics.... Ive always had a school of redhooks so i hope i can find them around here or in calgary and get a posse going