Sick Indo Dat

Eatman

Hey guys, looking for a little help here........ Something's wrong with my dat, he hasn't been eating for a while now and he's become extremely weak. Weak to the point where I could just hold him with my hands.. I noticed him today just floating around with his mouth facing the sky....... so i'm assuming a swim bladder issue? So far I've removed him from the bigger tank and put him in a smaller tank, raised the temp and added salt. Any help would be great.

thx

Yuppa

Super Moderator
Wow that doesn't sound good .. my condolences..

Raising temp and adding salt is about all I would recommend as well..

m_class2g

Sponsor
if he can hardly swim, id lower the water level so its the same height as the fish. also i would put a divider double the size of the fishs' width so he doesnt flip over. put an airstone and some salt.

i had a paroon shark that had swim bladder issues after transporting him from my buddys place to mine. he couldnt swim right. floating upside down. i lowered the water and put a divider so hed stay the right side up. next day, he was perfectly fine.

good luck!

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Agree with all of the above; maybe add a few feeder guppies/white clouds to stimulate appetite?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I have seen aros have swim bladder issues on arrival many times, also when trans-shipping inside Canada. Usually, if the fish is kept in warm, dark, salted tank, with greatly lowered water level (so it can rest on bottom), the fish recovers fine. I think this kind of swim bladder issue is due to external factors related to air pressure changes while fish is in flight.

When a fully acclimatized fish has swim bladder issues, I think it means some kind of internal problem, a disease or injury. I am much less optimistic about curing such fish, but would follow the same approach I use when shipping/trans-shipping fish. I have never tried epsom salts, just non-iodized aquarium/pickling salt.

RDFISHGUY

I have seen aros have swim bladder issues on arrival many times, also when trans-shipping inside Canada. Usually, if the fish is kept in warm, dark, salted tank, with greatly lowered water level (so it can rest on bottom), the fish recovers fine. I think this kind of swim bladder issue is due to external factors related to air pressure changes while fish is in flight.

When a fully acclimatized fish has swim bladder issues, I think it means some kind of internal problem, a disease or injury. I am much less optimistic about curing such fish, but would follow the same approach I use when shipping/trans-shipping fish. I have never tried epsom salts, just non-iodized aquarium/pickling salt.

If the fish will eat then it stands a good chance of recovery using epsom salts in the food. If you have to inject the salt into the fishes stomach I would suggest euthanizing the fish unless you are very attached or its an expensive fish.