Singapore United Arowana Farm

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I have not paid much attention to the aro forums the last many months; I just came across an interesting thread, however, that led me here:

http://suaf.sg/

It looks to me like there are some big changes afoot in the arowana world down in SEAsia. I can only speculate on what is going on behind the scenes, but it sure looks interesting. End result should be better fish for the consumer due to enhanced quality and competition. As an outside observer it looks like Singapore farms are forming a block to take on Malaysian and possibly Indonesian farms. I wonder if the same kind of cooperation is taking place in Malaysia and Indonesia as well? Who knows. Makes for interesting speculation in any case. :)

mitchb

I wonder if this is a response to the higher amount of aro farms out right now? It seems that aros have started to suffer from some commoditization. There will always be top notch farms with long bloodlines, but you have to wonder how much longer the fish will be in that exclusive area of fishkeeping.

I remember a long time ago I would have never thought I could own an aro, but even since I have been on this board some of the prices I have seen have shocked me at how much they have come down.

Not in a bad mentioning way by any sorts but look at these prices : http://www.arowanaclub.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=5172

I think it is great as it allows everyone to enjoy aro's and will be looking to get one in the future, but you have to wonder what the plan is for this amalgamation?

Either way I don't really see a bad side for the hobby, as long as they do not start restricting aro's due to the power of having so many farms on one board/group.

Mr.wilkinson

Sponsor
I think price coming down is great. so many more people get to enjoy asian arowana.
Should be good for the farmers too: more arowana enthousiast more fish sold at least for those who can keep up with the new marketplace

mitchb

The one thing that I am really wondering as well is if asian aro's will come off of cites list? I wonder if there is a number that must be reached in the wild, as it has been shown that they can be bread in captivity.

I am guessing once that goes down there will be a spike in price as the USA can then order, driving up demand which would be good for farms right now but again lead to increase in farms and longer term driving prices down.

Either way it is a win as you said mr. wilkinson for fish lovers.