small arowanas large stingrays ?

damtrees420

So thinking of starting my group 5 or 6 (small 6 to 8 inch) I would like to start off from the get go in my 420 gallon as the only other tank i have ready is a 55 and that wont cut it for 5 arowanas. problem is i have 4 stingrays 15 to 10 inch disk right now they are in with about 20 discus and about once a month a discus gets mangled by a ray discus will be sold to make room for the group but there is a big diffrince between a 50 $ discus and a 1000 $ arowana.

im just wondering if when the aros are small are the prone to hang out where the rays could get on top of them has anyone ever keeped a small arowana with a bigger ray ?

tomuhs

If you're looking to comm, you'll most likely want to get the aros when young so you get a higher chance of comming when grown up. Most small aros, when imported, will come in around 4'', and I would not recommend putting them in with your rays at 15''.

You can always buy larger aros but will be pretty tough to find a comm. As you mentioned, it's not worth the risk. Not to flame but there are a few articles online that talk about stingrays and tankmates.

Ansieh

I wouldn't put big rays with young arowanas. I have one arowana, one stingray, and 7 discus in one tank and they're getting along fine. The thing is they are all pretty young. Stingray only has 5 inch disc, arowana is 6 inch and discus are about 4 inch.

damtrees420

If you're looking to comm, you'll most likely want to get the aros when young so you get a higher chance of comming when grown up. Most small aros, when imported, will come in around 4'', and I would not recommend putting them in with your rays at 15''.

You can always buy larger aros but will be pretty tough to find a comm. As you mentioned, it's not worth the risk. Not to flame but there are a few articles online that talk about stingrays and tankmates.

yea have been reading and keeping rays for two years now discus and them grew up together rays at 5 inch and discus at about loonie was just wondering if anyone had kept small aro’s with rays before was already planning on getting them small to start but unsure if i will be able to with the large rays as I know its almost impossible to start an adult Arowana group let alone finding that many large ones unless there already in group

or what is a good size tank to grow 5 aro’s from 6 inch to about a foot or so because at that size I wouldn’t worry about them