So what are the cheaper Arowanas you see at the LFS?

Wiedertäufer

I'm not too knowledgeable about arowanas except that I took care of one while my friend was out of the country. It was just one of the cheaper ones you can get at a local pet store.

So what's the story behind those? Are they still "Asian Arowanas"? Is it just their lack of colour that makes them cheaper?

Max Power

I'm guessing you mean the silver arowana? Those are from the amazon, so the arn't asian... but I still think they're an amazing fish.

ninjaturtle

I'm not too knowledgeable about arowanas except that I took care of one while my friend was out of the country. It was just one of the cheaper ones you can get at a local pet store.

So what's the story behind those? Are they still "Asian Arowanas"? Is it just their lack of colour that makes them cheaper?

they're not any less good looking. the only reason why they're cheap is because they are not endangered. some species of arowana (silver, black, 2 of the australians, and african) are not endangered. also, since they only have 1 color morph (other than albinos), they can be mass produced at farms without breeding the best genes n qualities, so prices do become cheaper.

as for asian arowanas, its just 1 species no matter what color form they are. basically there are 4 natural forms...
1. Crossback Golden (tied in terms of prices with REDs depending on quality)
2. Super Red
3. red tail golden
4. green

In Asian Arowanas, you can generally say the price depends on the color. reason why greens r so cheap too, demand is low because of the lack of color. Reds and Golds more expensive as ppl seek these "feng shui" fish. RTG is an alternative for those who cant afford XB but still can enjoy the goldness of it.

EKen

Super Moderator
Yes...So the other day, I got back from work. I was so tired and heard weird noises coming from my bedroom. I heard my girldfriend talking with somebody and giggling and as I opened the door...

ninjaturtle

also, u might want to take note that jars are much more suitable for our tank sizes as they dont grow as big, plus they resemble asian aros much more so than the silver does

ALS2000

Dragonguy,

curious where you got your green arowana and how big it was when you got it. Can't PM you for some reason. Hope this thread is not too old to bring back up.

thanks

Dragonguy

Dragonguy,

curious where you got your green arowana and how big it was when you got it. Can't PM you for some reason. Hope this thread is not too old to bring back up.

thanks

I got mine from king Ed. I always buy from them so they give me a lot of discount. The price was $300 but Ron sold it to me for $200. It was 7" when I bought it. Now his 12-13".

endless122

all this time i thought it was all asian, including silver, but i now know i am wrong, i fell in love with the silver arowana, but as i learn more, this is only the beginning, i still have a lot to catch up, Wiedertäufer i am on the same boat as you