Sturgeon

Marowana420

Saw some small sturgeons at gold ocean today. Can sturgeon live with aro? if they can do they grow rapidly in the grow out tank? does anybody have 1?

chen88

Super Moderator
i was there at lunch and saw them as well....nice...but would be nice food for aro and rays too if you know what I mean....especially at that size!

JMorash

I wouldn't suggest keeping them with arowana. I used to keep sterlets and they, like sturgeons, need cooler water to live happily. Once mine got bigger I kept them outside with koi. If you like them, an outside pond is an idea.

aaronc

thanks, for the reply, i was planning to maybe start a sturgeon community, or just drop them into a pond. does anyone keep any other species of sturgeons?

chen88

Super Moderator
Ive been interested in sturgeons for years but never really got started in them due to their common temperature requirements being cooler then the type of fish I generally keep. If keeping a comm of sturgeons..that would be cool...no pun intended.. :)

Marowana420

i was thinking about getting a couple and trade them in when they out grow my tank. do you think BA will accept trade ins on these?

aaronc

not too sure on trade ins as they are probably difficult to rehome unless its a 500+ gallon pond, but they would sure be some neat fish to keep. it also depends what species of sturgeons they are, sterlets are the smallest while belugas are larger species.

DaiDee

Hey bro, sturgeons won't be good to keep with your fish. Different temp. requirements, food and not sure how easy it is to rehome. Plus you have warm water fish and from what I know, sturgeons are all cold water fish. Sam's got a bunch at his place too, I saw them this weekend. Probably from the same batch.

aaronc

sorry for the dumb question, is sam's a store and if so how much were they going for?...any idea? debating if i should get some for a pond.