Tank Nightmare

CHILLI RED

A friend of mine came home after work to find his 120 gallon tank with a big crack in it and 80% of the water had spilled out. He called his home insurance company and they had someone there within a couple hours to estimate the damage. Looks like about $20,000 damage from approx. 100 gallons of water spilled. Carpet was ruined and drywall. The water went through the ceiling and into his basement also. Insurance will cover everything. The tank was only 18 months old and bought from big als. He contacted the store and they said the tank warranty was only for 12 months but if he brought the cracked tank to the store they would replace it. Not sure what caused the tank to crack.

jackson

That sukz ballz

What type of insurance he asked for??

Obviously home owners insurance and he must of mentioned he owns a fish tank that was large enough to cause damage. I have insurance as well and it cover any damages that would be done by the tank. You can also insure your fish and tank as well.

h.l_nathan

yeah with the home insurance you can get insurance for the tank and the fish. Thats was what i'm thinking of doing when i renew my home insurance.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
My home insurance covers fish tank "breakage", but I still go the extra step and go for full acrylic tanks...especially living in a major earthquake zone. My step-father lived through the 9+ quake in Anchorage back in the early 1960's and has put the fear of God into me regarding earthquakes...

Besides that, my youngest son once took out a 33 gallon ST tank with a baseball bat! No fun coming home to a pool of water and glass everywhere (fish lived though!).

Anyway, glad to hear your friend has good insurance.

carcrazy

I checked with my insurance with regards to damage from a leaking tank but I didn't ask if the tank itself and its contents were insured (doh). I'll have to check on that but all of my tanks are second and more hand. Even if they cover the fish due to a broken tank, that would be great.

CHILLI RED

I'll check with this guy this week to see about his insurance coverage, if he had told them he had a tank in the house and other information. He had another tank going so his wife scooped out the fish from the leaking tank and threw them into the other 50 g tank. Other people I know havnt told their insurance they have tanks. I want to contact my insurance company and see what I am covered for. We dont think it would happen but it can and anytime. Not sure yet what caused this breakage but I know he has a 3 yr old son running around so possible he might have done something. I'll ask him more tomorrow.

CHILLI RED

I was at my friends place and it is trashed. All the flooring on the main level was taken out, the basement ceiling had all drywall taken down , bottom 3 feet of drywall in the basement was taken and carpet in the basement also. Many other things were damaged also. He hadnt told his company he had a tank beforehand. There is between 20,000 and 35,000 damage. The insurance would not cover the tank or the fish though.

rudy

Out of Curiosity what was the brand of tank? I do not trust any Commercially manufactured tanks any longer. I have had a 50 gallon perfecto and a 80 gallon top fin break. Both times when I took them back they were "known defects" in that size. Both in less than one year.

CHILLI RED

I believe it was a perfecto tank. I think my 150 tall tank is same brand. Hope it wont happen to me too! Is there a good manufaturer of glass tanks out there? I want to upgrade in a year or so to a bigger tank but want a safe one. Any suggestions?

rudy

I believe it was a perfecto tank. I think my 150 tall tank is same brand. Hope it wont happen to me too! Is there a good manufaturer of glass tanks out there? I want to upgrade in a year or so to a bigger tank but want a safe one. Any suggestions?

I think the ones guys make in their basement are more reliable than commercial. With commercial, comes defects. There is still something to be said about hand made! I think as far as aquariums though Oceanic are the best ones out there.

danfong88

Yes, a custom is better. You can design it better and add euro brace and use better glass.
Good Luck with shopping for one. I have guy whom is selling a 5ftby 26" by 24". If you are interested let me know, I am located in the GTA.

CHILLI RED

Yes, a custom is better. You can design it better and add euro brace and use better glass.
Good Luck with shopping for one. I have guy whom is selling a 5ftby 26" by 24". If you are interested let me know, I am located in the GTA.

Thanks but I wont be looking for a larger one for a while yet.

Marius

In condo building insurance companies demand you have acrylic tanks, otherwise they won't insure it. Hence why I slowly got rid of my glass ones and worked my way up to the 400gal plexi.

Now... I gotta find a place that will let me put that up as I am moving to Montreal next month.

Glad to hear his fish were OK and the insurance covered the damage. You should ask him how much did his rates jump after that. ;)