The clueless 1500gl diy tank

cheon

Hey guys I Am in the planing stage of a bigger tank to house my young monsters the floor plan is a 1500gl tank now I am pretty clueless on filtration I just been using canister filters on all my tanks. So sumps are pretty new to me,I rlly want the cleanest water for this tank so I am leaning to a drip system with auto dozing of prime. I have no idea where to begin and I rlly want the best system for my animals the builders I talk to are just into sumps and building the actual tank but no nuttin about drip systems if anyone could put there 2 cents in it would be appreciated I rlly counting on knowledge I can obsorbe from u experience hobbyists
Thx
Chris

AroNoob

If you need dosing info I would talk to Bret. Drips are pretty simple, have a bulkhead installed in you sump or tank, have a drip into your tank and your excess water will drain out the bulkhead.

Personally I am installing a drain using a 90° elbow facing up in my tank with the intake at the desired water level. My drip water will go through a filter system and into my tank. So as the water level goes up, it starts draining into the 90° elbow. Pretty simple drip system, no need for dosing as I will be using well water.

1500 gallon, wow moving on up. I don't know if I would go with a sump, it would have to be huge. Check out most of the big builds on here and you'll see that a pond filter is used more often.

Good luck,

Ron

Last edited:

Boydo

Hey Chris, I thought I have a thread going on this somewhere to post here for you but I can't seem to find it. I think it is time I start a new thread on the subject to help the other members as well. There are a few way to go about auto water change systems and some of the members have great systems too, I hope they will chime in. I use large sumps and dosing system to treat for chloramine. If you in a rush call me and I'll fill you in other wise I hope to have a thread built with some pictures in a week or so.

Maybe we can make sticky about auto systems with chloramine and chlorine describing positive filter systems like skynocks for example and sump dosing systems like what I use.

Bret

cheon

If you need dosing info I would talk to Bret. Drips are pretty simple, have a bulkhead installed in you sump or tank, have a drip into your tank and your excess water will drain out the bulkhead.

Personally I am installing a drain using a 90° elbow facing up in my tank with the intake at the desired water level. My drip water will go through a filter system and into my tank. So as the water level goes up, it starts draining into the 90° elbow. Pretty simple drip system, no need for dosing as I will be using well water.

1500 gallon, wow moving on up. I don't know if I would go with a sump, it would have to be huge. Check out most of the big builds on here and you'll see that a pond filter is used more often.

Good luck,

Ron
hey ron the system u are using is like a top off system if i am correct? i was think of going that route.

hey bret maybe we can have a chat when u drop off the rays?!?!?!?

AroNoob

hey ron the system u are using is like a top off system if i am correct? i was think of going that route.

hey bret maybe we can have a chat when u drop off the rays?!?!?!?

Hey Chris,

Dunno if it's a "top off" system, I always thought "top offs" included floats and shut offs. Mine will just have a drain in the tank at some water level and as my drip adds water to the tank, the level will rise and overflow into my drain. I don't want floats and shut offs, I think mines simplier.

Ron

hustler

I hope the drip gets resurrected into a whole post :)
If you have just chlorine you will be laughing for sure....
Sounds like an amazing build, Plywood or concrete?