Thiamninase in shrimp?

Arrow

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_1/thiaminase.htm

I know that most arow keepers keep feed prawn/shrimp, according to the above article they contain Thiaminase.
I also feed reg med sized shrimp so I am wondering is it bad for my Jardini/arow's in general.
I also feed hikari food sticks and will soon be trying fresh tilapia fillet chunks.

Should I stick with the tilapia over shrimp if my jar accepts it?
And what exactly does a jardini eat as a staple in the wild?

impalass

Been feeding my 4.5 year old rtg shrimp 1-2 times per week since day one. He's 22" now and I'm very interested to see what others think.
(brought him home @ 7")

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I know quite a few people in the food science sector. I've been told I could run a thiamninase analysis of raw shrimp available from Safeway (or local fisherman here in Vancouver) for a cost of a couple hundred bucks. One of these days I will get around to it; to really be on the safe side I suppose the analysis should be run a couple times at least at different times during the year.

Shrimp/market prawn is heavily used in SEAsia as a main food source for Asian arowana; I have seen many older fish (10+ years) there that have been exclusively fed it, thus I am not overly concerned. I just wish my current aro would eat shrimp! :rolleyes:

Arrow

I had 30 neons in my 220gal when I introduced my jardini, slowly I ended up with 5 left.
Since he now has a taste for live would feeding the odd convict be a good idea?

Does thaminase effect all fish the same way?

Boydo

Simple solution - soak your shimp or prawns in a good vitamin like Boyd Vita-Chem or Kent Zoe a few times a week.

arl

....We always come up with something that contradicts the norm don't we??... I just read the book "The china Study"........Who would ever think that milk can promote cancer.....:eek: Weird but I guess clinical and statistic stucy shows. What do you think they'l come up with next??? :confused:

skynoch

Simple solution - soak your shimp or prawns in a good vitamin like Boyd Vita-Chem or Kent Zoe a few times a week.
I don't think this would work as thiamninase blocks the absorbtion of thiamin. But it will help with everything else.
I had 30 neons in my 220gal when I introduced my jardini, slowly I ended up with 5 left.
Since he now has a taste for live would feeding the odd convict be a good idea?

Does thaminase effect all fish the same way?
I think it does from what I've read but there is way more educated people out there than me on diet and nutrition. It also effects humans....I think.lol

I know quite a few people in the food science sector. I've been told I could run a thiamninase analysis of raw shrimp available from Safeway (or local fisherman here in Vancouver) for a cost of a couple hundred bucks. One of these days I will get around to it; to really be on the safe side I suppose the analysis should be run a couple times at least at different times during the year.

Shrimp/market prawn is heavily used in SEAsia as a main food source for Asian arowana; I have seen many older fish (10+ years) there that have been exclusively fed it, thus I am not overly concerned. I just wish my current aro would eat shrimp! :rolleyes:

This would be very interesting as I've seen lots of articles with which fish contain thiamninase but never the levels. If you can find it freshwater shrimp is suppose to nt contain thiamninase

Boydo

I don't think this would work as thiamninase blocks the absorbtion of thiamin. But it will help with everything else.

I think it does from what I've read but there is way more educated people out there than me on diet and nutrition. It also effects humans....I think.lol

This would be very interesting as I've seen lots of articles with which fish contain thiamninase but never the levels. If you can find it freshwater shrimp is suppose to nt contain thiamninase

Thiaminase does inhibit B1 to some degree but not block it. Conditioning food with extra B1 and or Thiamine Hydrochloride will be absorbed by the fish eating it even if thiaminase is present in the original food. Boyd Zita-Chem contains both these versions of B1. Studies have shown (I hope to find them to show here) that most Thiaminase is found in the organs. So the question is like Theo stated - how much is actually in a peeled and deveined prawn? Maybe nothing to worry about. Regardless anyone who feeds frozen foods should be fortifying there food with vitamins a few times a week.

Just my $0.02.

skynoch

Thiaminase does inhibit B1 to some degree but not block it. Conditioning food with extra B1 and or Thiamine Hydrochloride will be absorbed by the fish eating it even if thiaminase is present in the original food. Boyd Zita-Chem contains both these versions of B1. Studies have shown (I hope to find them to show here) that most Thiaminase is found in the organs. So the question is like Theo stated - how much is actually in a peeled and deveined prawn? Maybe nothing to worry about. Regardless anyone who feeds frozen foods should be fortifying there food with vitamins a few times a week.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks for clarifying from what I was told it blocked it so good to know you can get around it. :)