tiny asian arowana

endi

went to Dragon aquarium 2day and i saw tonnnss of arowanas. they had many tanks of them. They had two small comm tank of rtg and green aros. The thing that surprised me the most were there size. most of them are around 4". the prices weren't bad either i think its one of cheapest price in town with reds costing less than 1200.

how do they chip aros when they're sooo small? won't it hurt the fish when they're soo small?

endi

they have certs.. lol.. i was tempted to buy but probably gonna wait till they're a little bigger

Kenta

Administrator
IIRC, CITES legislation states minimum size for chipping and export is 5 or 6"...

endi

i talked to them about it and they told me ppl at customs were checking them for over 4hrs out in the cold... the long checkin of these aros caused over 20 small arows to die

Last edited:

GRANDDRAGON

I have seen these also at Gold Ocean. They are very small and are chipped through the stomach, that is the only way to chip very small fish.

IIRC, CITES legislation states minimum size for chipping and export is 5 or 6"...

I think this only applies to Singapore for they have to get them this small from Indo. For I know a couple of people in SE Asia that have purchased Aros at these sizes and were also already chipped.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
At four inches the fish have to be chipped in the belly. I have read that belly chipping small fish that size can lead to infection and health problems. If it were me I would definitely wait to see how the arows look for a few weeks before buying.

At $1200 per fish, they are definitely Indoreds. Wholesale cost of Indored SR's is under $600, so I bet someone put together a HUGE order (around a 100 fish?), with a not-very-well-known fish farm and got the price down below $500...maybe even below $400!?

Please find out the name of the farm if you can! :)

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I think this only applies to Singapore for they have to get them this small from Indo. For I know a couple of people in SE Asia that have purchased Aros at these sizes and were also already chipped.

I don't quite understand what you mean that they "have to get them this small from Indo"? Do you mean Singapore farms or aro traders are not allowed to import fish larger than 4 inches to S'pore?

CHILLI RED

I remember seeing very small ones before at dragon aquarium- a couple years ago. Thanks for the heads up and maybe I will go and take a look.

Dragonguy

They are way too small to be chipped. I think the cert are fake, and the aros are probably illegally imported. Are the aros separated in different tank or are they together in the same tank? Because you said they got rtg and green aros in comm tank. Ask them which farm they belong to?

GRANDDRAGON

I don't quite understand what you mean that they "have to get them this small from Indo"? Do you mean Singapore farms or aro traders are not allowed to import fish larger than 4 inches to S'pore?

I mean stores or other wholesalers who sell aros have to get them in at smaller sizes then grow them larger to sell. Not all places in Singapore raise there own fish some source from other farms.

GRANDDRAGON

They are way too small to be chipped. I think the cert are fake, and the aros are probably illegally imported. Are the aros separated in different tank or are they together in the same tank? Because you said they got rtg and green aros in comm tank. Ask them which farm they belong to?

These fish are not to small to be chipped they are big enough. They chip them in the stomach. They can not be chipped in the shoulder for there is not enough meat to hold the chip. I seen the fish myself and the certs are all real and the fish are all legal. The store that I saw them at was Gold Ocean and they had the Reds all seperated and the RTGS in a small comm tank and the Greens were also in a comm tank.

protoxeno

Hmm too bold of a statement but its a possibility however small it is. Stores by now should have scanner supplied by whoever supply them with the fish that way we all know whats what.

To: Granddragon: So you saw these at Gold Ocean too? You mean the RTG and the green or the VIP reds that is going for 1200 at 4"?

Last edited:

GRANDDRAGON

Hmm too bold of a statement but its a possibility however small it is. Stores by now should have scanner supplied by whoever supply them with the fish that way we all know whats what.

To: Granddragon: So you saw these at Gold Ocean too? You mean the RTG and the green or the VIP reds that is going for 1200 at 4"?

Hey Protoxeno the RTG, Green and Red are available in the 4" sizes. Not the VIP reds the small reds are from a different farm. The farm is Dinamika Kapuas. The Reds from this farm are called Dynamic Reds.

Prices

Dynamic Red $1000.00
RTG $400.00
Greens did not ask but you can contact Gold Ocen for more information.

Looks to me that these are by far the best price for Aros out there.

Kenta

Administrator
I'd love to see how those arowanas turn out!

For the Super reds, its very hard telling potential at such a size small...they all probably look the same! wouldn't even be able to tell difference between 1.5 and SR!

EKen

Super Moderator
Hey Protoxeno the RTG, Green and Red are available in the 4" sizes. Not the VIP reds the small reds are from a different farm. The farm is Dinamika Kapuas. The Reds from this farm are called Dynamic Reds.

Prices

Dynamic Red $1000.00
RTG $400.00
Greens did not ask but you can contact Gold Ocen for more information.

Looks to me that these are by far the best price for Aros out there.

Are you gonna post pics like the last time, I don't feel like driving down there to just take a look... :)