UV Sterilizer (In-line)

Joey

It depends on what your adding it for... If you want it for just algae control, then the 13 watt should be able to keep up. Two 13 watt units will for sure. I use a 24watt on a 240gal just for algae.

danfong88

waste of money.. the 13watt UV will burn out in 3 to 6 months. I would return it and looking into other alternative to clean water.
such as Phoshate ban 150 reactors.

goldenchild

waste of money.. the 13watt UV will burn out in 3 to 6 months. I would return it and looking into other alternative to clean water.

I realize that now :p. I had to try it. I've seen Azoo reactors at my lfs. I don't really get how effective it would be as it uses a really slow flow rate. Fill me in Dan!

oshiet

Phosban reactors running granular ferric oxide only bind phosphates and won't help clarify the water. You can add carbon in the upper portion, to help clarify the water. However, results are only temporary until the carbons absorbtion capacity is depleted and has the chance to leach back out into the water column. I'm not a fan of running carbon in fresh water tanks as I believe it will strip beneficial trace elements out of the water as well as impurities.

UV is great for killing water born algae and pathogens. Downside is obviously, you have to replace the bulbs every few months.
Slow flow rate through the UV is critical for its effectiveness as it needs enough contact time to kill what passes through.

You can consider investing in, or even DIY'ing an upflow/fluidized sand bed filter inside your sump. Does a great job of polishing the water to a crystal clear state, and will increase your bioload potential. I'll try to post up some pics of the one I built, but only after I get a new camera. Damaged my SLR during summer vacation! :(

Last edited:

goldenchild

Thanks for the info Oshiet. I'm currentley running Canisters only.
Eheim2260 - Bio/Filter Floss
EheimPro2 - Sponge/Filter Floss/UV Sterilizer

I'm looking at the Phosban ( 2-3 daisy Chained ) Reactor for Chemical and Biological filtration to complete my Trio.

What do you think?

oshiet

What are you planning to run in the phosban reactors? How is it going to be pumbed?

GFO works best when it's slightly fluidized, to prevent clumping.

DaiDee

I don't get why you would need to run a phosban reactor in the first place. If you're only worried about algae control, stop over feeding, don't have the light on for long periods of time, put up blinds if the sun is shining into the tank, keep your water quality / perimeters in check. Those are the real ways to avoid algae. Adding UVs/phosban reactors is not the solution to your underlining problem.

oshiet

Phosphates and nitrates are present in tap water. Only way you can take them out is by filtering, chemically removing, or through consumption by plants.
Running GFO can help control levels, but I agree that controlled feeding and lighting is a better solution.
Planted tanks/refugiums or ATS might be a better option to help lower levels.

UV has it's benefits of killing waterborne pathogens, not just algae control.

DaiDee

I know what you're saying...just that in his case it can be easily rectified without having to spend more money. Adding plants would definite help the situation.

I have a 36watt UV that I only use for emergencies. Other than that, I never bother running it.

goldenchild

I'm good with my maintenance duties. I'm pretty sure I don't overfeed. My tank gets minimal sunlight because it is in my basement. Lights are only on for 3-4 hours at a time and not everyday (don't know if this is bad). My interest in the reactors are for the chemical filtration I can get out of them. Since I am only using canister filtration.