Water Changes...

EKen

Super Moderator
While others are busy debating on some infinite debate, we peaceful ones can share our Water Changing schedules.

For my part, I do water change each week, about 15-20%. I do not use aged water, but I add water conditionner to my tap water. I feel that it does not stress my fishes and this frequency does not seem to fade the color of my reds.

Anybody else feels like sharing his WC schedule, its effects or some experience on water changes...

rulaifu

Water change depend on your bioload, tank size, fish size, feeding amount. In general age water is better than tab water adding water conditioner. Don't forget I am a peaceful guy, that is why I come here to support your topic.

jackson

I do twice a week 30-50% depending on the state of the water. I do the same as EKen I add Prime to my tap water and this has never caused a problem. I sometimes use RO water. I dont have a unit but my buddy that lives close does so I take water from him.

EKen

Super Moderator
lol...Rulaifu, I think Jackson meant "why" you are saying PEACE, not "what" PEACE means...

Jackson:
So do you do it bucket by bucket (adding conditionner each time)? And sorry but, what is "RO" water?

Chilli Red:
Well by fading i mean, when the fish stresses, he shoes less color. My Chili (my fish not you ;)) doesn't mind me changing his water often. But my Blood Red gets a bit stressed when I change his water. Hence why I think his colors fade a bit each time I change his water.

Rulaifu:
By the way, check your email...

PEACE

Last edited:

jackson

lol...Rulaifu, I think Jackson meant "why" you are saying PEACE, not "what" PEACE means...

Jackson:
So do you do it bucket by bucket (adding conditionner each time)? And sorry but, what is "RO" water?

Chilli Red:
Well by fading i mean, when the fish stresses, he shoes less color. My Chili (my fish not you ;)) doesn't mind me changing his water often. But my Blood Red gets a bit stressed when I change his water. Hence why I think his colors fade a bit each time I change his water.

Rulaifu:
By the way, check your email...

PEACE

Sometimes bucket by bucket other times I just use a hose and add Prime as it fills. I also use Stability once a month or when I feel like it LOL
I find that both these products work as well as they say it does. Oh I also add salt with every water change as well.

Edit- I forgot to say Peace LOL

frozen-fire

I do about a 25% water change weekly. Done by use of a python hose kit. When adding water, I add Seachem Prime to the tap water and it has shown no problems for me whatsoever. I tend to overdose a little though.

Kenta

Administrator
I use a water in water out method... siphon out of the tank , add into the sump using a hose. I dose however much prime i think i should.

I change as often as possible... i have a high bioload, so i change water 2-3 times a week, maybe 25-40% each time. I add baking soda in to counter the ph swing...

xbackgolden

While others are busy debating on some infinite debate, we peaceful ones can share our Water Changing schedules.

For my part, I do water change each week, about 15-20%. I do not use aged water, but I add water conditionner to my tap water. I feel that it does not stress my fishes and this frequency does not seem to fade the color of my reds.

Anybody else feels like sharing his WC schedule, its effects or some experience on water changes...

For me its 2 times a week and 10% for each water change for my xbacks.

rulaifu

Mine is totally different. Notice that water in Montreal (oh, at least my area) is very hard. I install the water condition for the entire house. I did that under the name of protecting my wife dropping hairs because of hard water, but actually it is a long term of better water for my aros. (Eken, never tell this to my wife). It costs a lot, but it is worry free when doing WC.
Because of this, I do even age water (though I do think it is very helpful) because the water from the tap has no chlorine and the water is soft. The only thing I do is to raise the temperature trying to match the tank temperature. By doing this, it will reduce chances that aros get stressed from not eating, loosing scales etc..............
Jackson, I like your edit.
Eken, I receive no email nor PM from you.

EKen

Super Moderator
Rulaifu:
You really need to add me as a contact in hotmail. I send you such nice emails, but you still ignore them.:D
Don't worry about the water system, your secret is safe with me. Well at least for now, maybe I going to trade my silence later for another aro :D

The other bros:
The "normal" tap water from Montreal (not Rulaifu's water) is about pH 7.8. I normally do not test the pH. I think the fish gets used to the pH, the important thing si to make sure that the pH does not change abruptly. That is one reason why I think regular WC is good. Plus, it gets the hobbyist to not be lazy (like Rulaifu) :D

Peace...

Last edited:

rulaifu

Thank you so much for your nice email. I read it and I am waiting more from you. Call me when you have a chance, I will let you be more clearer as it should be.