water conditioner

carcrazy

I use prime. I bought a large 1 gallon size bucket of prime powder (very concentrated). One teaspoon is good for about 100 gallons. Has worked well for me so far.

homebrewed

Super Moderator
I've been using Prime for years now and have been quite happy with it.

I use prime. I bought a large 1 gallon size bucket of prime powder (very concentrated). One teaspoon is good for about 100 gallons. Has worked well for me so far.

How do you mix the Safe? I've often looked at it and just gone with Prime because its less hassle but more money. I think getting some Safe would save me some decent money with water changes on the pond.

EKen

Super Moderator
I have used Big Al's for the last year and it seems to work pretty well. I wait for boxing day, they go for about 20$ the big bottle, and 3-4 seem to last the whole year.

carcrazy

I've been using Prime for years now and have been quite happy with it.

How do you mix the Safe? I've often looked at it and just gone with Prime because its less hassle but more money. I think getting some Safe would save me some decent money with water changes on the pond.

I just add 1 teaspoon of it directly to the tank as I am filling it with fresh water (100g water change). It disperses very quickly and conditions the water quite rapidly. I have seen no ill effects on the rays or aro and have never noticed an ammonia spike (from bacteria being killed by chlorine or chloramines). I am not overly accurate with the measurement of "safe" and have not noticed any effects of overdosing. I also treat the top up fw and replacement salt water for the marine tanks with it. I have been using it for about a year and probably have enough for another 20 years. I bought a 4 kg pail from Quinn (Quinster) for $100.

CHILLI RED

how much does Prime cost? Does Big Als carry it? I have bought the Big Als brand last couple of years but wondered if Prime was more cost effective or better to use for any reason.

peterpd99

I'd also used API for awhile...It seems to have some hazing on the glass after I used it.
I'd recently switched to prime...and happy to say it's a better product...won't use any other brand for now.:p