welcome Biggs

DragonfishExotics

Would like to give a hello to our new member Biggs, he is the president of the Greater Victoria Aquarium Society. I had a chance to some of his collection on the weekend, very nice stuff.

EKen

Super Moderator
lol...Biggs must be very important. He has fans waiting, even though he did not show up yet.

biggs

WOW!...Thanks for the Warm Welcome!! Our local society had a tank tour day on Sunday. We had 14 people visiting 8 homes so I got a chance to see Bills setup and his fish. I may have caught the Arowana bug!! Wonderful Fish!! I love how aggressive they are when feeding. I also watched the video that was linked from here of the pair spawning.....Amazing!!! I run around 30 tanks when running full steam with the largest being a 180. What size tank is reccomended for a full size Aro???

protoxeno

Would recommend a tank size of min 4' x 2' x 2'. That size is pretty much standard for asian aros, but can't say the same for silvers as I keep hearing gets much bigger.

EKen

Super Moderator
Biggs:
I feel that 6'x2'x2' is a good size for a full grown aro, if you intend to keep only one with some tankmates.

Protoxeno:
Yes, I also have read many times that 4'x2'x2' is the bare minimum. But If you like seeing the fish swims, 4' length won't let the fish swims that much. I personally think that how the arowana swims plays a big role in his majestic look.

rulaifu

WOW!...Thanks for the Warm Welcome!! Our local society had a tank tour day on Sunday. We had 14 people visiting 8 homes so I got a chance to see Bills setup and his fish. I may have caught the Arowana bug!! Wonderful Fish!! I love how aggressive they are when feeding. I also watched the video that was linked from here of the pair spawning.....Amazing!!! I run around 30 tanks when running full steam with the largest being a 180. What size tank is reccomended for a full size Aro???
Good to see you show up here. Please advise what type of Aro., how many aros. you are going to put in the tank, then I may put my suggestion here for you.

biggs

Just one Aro....type undecided....tank mates undecided but the goal would be a tank dedicated to supporting the Aro with optimum conditions and a minimal Bio load. I'm a WC freak anyways.

This is the Tank I'd use.....

Attachments

• 185G Cichlid Tank (Small).jpg
    185G Cichlid Tank (Small).jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 20

rulaifu

If it is me, I will put one aro. (either cross back or red), 1 ST. 1 Fei Feng, 1 PNT. Make sure your filtration system is about 10 times the volume of your tank. Don't over feed them just to make sure it is about 80% full. Based on that, you only need to change water once every 3 months.
If you think it is too long, then reduce the filtration down to 8 times, then change the water once every 2 months.

rulaifu

I'm a WC freak anyways.
You said that. Then I bring you the solution and being quite responsible for what I said. If you think it is too long and you want to do more often e.g. once every month, then you can bring your filter system down to 6 times of the water amount in your tank.