Welcome to Churchill

homebrewed

Super Moderator
welcome.jpg

I did some work there for 10 days and was lucky enough to catch the last 4 days of Polar bear season. The weather started out fair but took a turn for the worse. First day -6, next day -14, everyday after that around -37 with the windchill and the Hudson bay froze over in 2 days and the bears were gone.

Stoppolar.jpg

polar.jpg

podgie.jpg

podg.jpg

Bad polar bear. There were 20 polar bears in the bear jail. Each day they would take a helicopter ride across the river to wait for the bay to ice over.
badpolarbear.jpg

badpolar.jpg

And fox are like rabbits out there
Fox.jpg

foxy.jpg

fozy.jpg

fort.jpg

Inukshuk.jpg

Unfortunatly while I was there the NorthernLights Hotel a few doors down burned to the ground. Luckily nothing else caught fire from the 60km winds that evening. 40 tourists were displaced and lost everything. It was a real shame.
hotel.jpg

Last edited:

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
What a fantastic experience you had Tim! The photo of the polar bear under the sign is priceless. :) Thanks for sharing, you make me want to visit the far north.

homebrewed

Super Moderator
Thanks Theo
Its worth the trip. Only word of advice, get there before the weather goes south. I hope I can make it back during Beluga whale season.

Juice604

cool pics , consider yourself a lucky guy , polar bears might not be around much longer with the way things are going ...