What are the going prices for arowana in Canada?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Okay, this should be of interest to EVERYONE!

What are the going prices for the following fish in each province across Canada? Let's stick with juvenile fish, size from 5-9 inches.

Silver Aro (S.American)
Black Aro (S.American)

Jardini (Australian arowana)

Green Asian arowana
Banjar Red Asian arowana
RTG or HBRTG (Red Tail Gold Asian Arowana)
Super Red Asian arowana
Xback Asian arowana

Super Red (VIP, VFSR, etc.) - High grade
Xback Marble Blue - High grade
Platinum Xback - High grade

Let's see if we can come up with a price list by province!

jackson

I am not to sure about most of the Asian Aro's but I see the silvers for 29.99 most of the time. Jardinis about 40-50. Have not seen a black for a long time. Greens 150-200. RTG 550-700. The rest I am not sure at all. Last time I checked high grade red was 2000-2700. I hope we get some good answers so we can see what is being asked for them.

I also find the prices are up and down and I can never get a honest answer when you ask if this is a high grade fish or not. This is the main reason I have not bought a high grade Asian Aro. I feel like I am going to get ripped off.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I also find the prices are up and down and I can never get a honest answer when you ask if this is a high grade fish or not. This is the main reason I have not bought a high grade Asian Aro. I feel like I am going to get ripped off.

You are not alone. Unless you have really big money to splurge on larger arows with confirmed colouration, there is always a gamble. This is especially so with the reds which can take years :)eek:) to develop their colour!

If we all work together we can figure it out. We may never eliminate all the risk, but at least we can work to be better informed when making our purchases.

So, we need to develop this thread in order to at least know what the prices are like across Canada. Right now, not only have hobbyists in Canada been cut off from the Asian pricing market, we've been cut off from each other inside our own country! Let's work together to overcome this issue.

EKen

Super Moderator
I can tell you the prices in Montreal:
- Silver: from 25$ to 70$ depending on size
- Black: rarely seen them, but I can get some for 185$ around 12''
- Jardini: from 35$ to 150$

For all the asian aros, the price is basucally the TO area price, since most people in Montreal get them from TO. Some lfs sometimes has some, but the price is way blown up.

Or else, you can also get those asian aros from a guy who imports them from asia. His price is pretty good, he has a forum on asian aro. I can't remember his name...

homebrewed

Super Moderator
In Winnipeg, MB:

size from 5-9 inches. (What I've seen)

Silver Aro (S.American) - $60-100
Black Aro (S.American) - $200-300

Jardini (Australian arowana) - $90-150

Green Asian arowana - $400-500
RTG or HBRTG (Red Tail Gold Asian Arowana) - $1200-2400

Super Red (VIP, VFSR, etc.) - $5500 (but was over 12")

ninjaturtle

Silver Aro (S.American) around $40
Black Aro (S.American) not sure, but i think around 200-300

Jardini (Australian arowana) $50

Green Asian arowana $250
Banjar Red Asian arowana $350
RTG or HBRTG (Red Tail Gold Asian Arowana) RTG=$600ish, HBRTG=$800
Super Red Asian arowana too wide to tell you, lol
Xback Asian arowana again, same thing.. depends on fish quality n farm

Super Red (VIP, VFSR, etc.) - High grade $3000-5000
Xback Marble Blue - High grade around $3000
Platinum Xback - High grade dont think theres been one in the GTA yet

protoxeno

I hate Ontario prices......ninjaturtle there is pretty accurate I agree on those prices. Still a rip off , 3k for a red? pshhh.

ninjaturtle

I hate Ontario prices......ninjaturtle there is pretty accurate I agree on those prices. Still a rip off , 3k for a red? pshhh.

hey proto if u think we got it bad, look at winnipeg's prices... $400-500 for a green? haha.. they basically double our prices

homebrewed

Super Moderator
thats how we roll

we get all the left overs as far as fish selection and prices that'll make your head spin.

only thing thats cheap around here is frontosas

protoxeno

Woah winnipeg prices that much for a green? Arg, this is why prices needs to go down. I understand LFS needs to make their living due to bills and such, well they can still survive and have been as I've seen w/o selling asian aros and just leave it up to group buys.

jackson

Homebrewed is one funny guy. I like your attitude "thats how we roll" This line cracked me up.

The prices are really high and I find you cant trust the LFS at all unless you have spent 1000's and 1000's they will srew you over.

Lets all do what Cirrus said " Let's work together to overcome this issue "

babymack

in Calgary there are 2 stores i see with asian aros

Silver Aro (S.American) - $20-100
Black Aro (S.American) - $70-200

Jardini (Australian arowana) - $60-200

Green Asian arowana - last time i saw one was $300 like 5 years ago
RTG or HBRTG (Red Tail Gold Asian Arowana) - $800-1000
Super Red Asian arowana - $2000-2700
Xback Asian arowana - $3500-4500

Super Red (VIP, VFSR, etc.) - High grade - saw a saphire for $4000+
Xback Marble Blue - High grade - $5000-6000

homebrewed

Super Moderator
I don't regret paying the price for my green.

Before buying my green, in all my years of fish keeping I had never seen an asian arowana in any of the lfs here in Winnipeg. It had been one of my dream fish since I got into the hobby. When I finally saw one, I had to have it and was willing to spend the money. Despite being a broke university student. Luckily the RTG that was brought along with it was sold already and there were only 2 greens because god only knows I would have justified buying something I shouldn't have :). Anyways I studied the greens and took the better of the 2 after observing it over the course of 2 days (more confidence, better shine, and the head shape imo was way better). Definatly worth every penny I paid for it to finally own something I've wanted since I started. Its not red or xback, but its my asian aro and it sure is awesome to watch. :)

We still haven't had many come thru the city. I know there have been 10 or 11 brought in the last 2 years and thats all I can remember ever being brought in, in my time, aside from people buying from T.O. or Calgary

Last edited:

Yuppa

Super Moderator
here in the GVRD this is the average price i've seen aro's for:

silver : 10 - 50
black : 80 - 300
jardini : 60 - 100
green : 200 - 350
rtg : 700 - 1200
red: 2000 - 2800
xback : 2500 - 4000

those seem to be kind of average lfs prices, although it seems recently their coming down...

EKen

Super Moderator
I don't regret paying the price for my green.

Before buying my green, in all my years of fish keeping I had never seen an asian arowana in any of the lfs here in Winnipeg. It had been one of my dream fish since I got into the hobby. When I finally saw one, I had to have it and was willing to spend the money. Despite being a broke university student. Luckily the RTG that was brought along with it was sold already and there were only 2 greens because god only knows I would have justified buying something I shouldn't have :). Anyways I studied the greens and took the better of the 2 after observing it over the course of 2 days (more confidence, better shine, and the head shape imo was way better). Definatly worth every penny I paid for it to finally own something I've wanted since I started. Its not red or xback, but its my asian aro and it sure is awesome to watch. :)

We still haven't had many come thru the city. I know there have been 10 or 11 brought in the last 2 years and thats all I can remember ever being brought in, in my time, aside from people buying from T.O. or Calgary

I can really relate to you. I remember bringing home my RTG, my first asian arowana. Damn I was so happy. In my eyes, it was more beautiful than any reds or XBs that I could find on the internet, since it was my aro. After 15 years of fish keeping, I finally had my dream fish. But then, I became greedy...

carcrazy

I bought a 6" Jardini in Winnipeg, Manitoba about a month ago for $120. There were a couple of silver arowana there at the same time for $70 (I liked the looks of the Jardini more). I also bought 2 motoro stingrays a week later for $175 each to keep the jar company (I hope they get along when the jardini gets bigger).

carcrazy

I just bought a 9" high back RTG for $1000 + taxes in Winnipeg. Wow, what a great fish! Now if I can just get the blood pressure down from the sticker shock...