what defines a golden head arowana?

aro7

gold lines on the head, gold spots, full gold head???

whats the difference between a golden crossback and a golden head arowana? cuz in some places ive seen crossbacks with gold specks on their head, but is that considered a real golden head?

thanks for any info to a newbie

aro7

so if an arowana is termed lets say "Golden xback" could it possibly be a golden head crossback as well??

or can any golden arowana be termed golden head if they have spots of gold on their helmet?

thanks marius...you seem to be a lot of help through my all my posts n random questions =D

Last edited:

Marius

so if an arowana is termed lets say "Golden xback" could it possibly be a golden head crossback as well??

or can any golden arowana be termed golden head if they have spots of gold on their helmet?

thanks marius...you seem to be a lot of help through my all my posts n random questions =D

Don't mention it. The chances of getting a "gold head" without actually knowing that it might be are pretty slim. It started like that though, the first gold heads were just "new" dominant genes in few gold aros and by line breeding they got to the beauties they are today. That being sad, getting an XB is already a step up, having a full helmet without being specified from the supplier would be a treat, but I doubt it. A full helmet usually sells for 5x the price of an XB, or more :). If you get lucky let me know, I'll buy my XB from the same supplier :) and hold my fingers crossed.

homebrewed

Super Moderator
Does a white tank promote this trait?

I'm just wondering because most of the gold heads I see are fairly pale and seem to be going thru the white tank treatment.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I have yet to see a GH that is not in WTT. It certainly makes me wonder. In the photos below you will see that the Full Helmet is in WTT (though the lower grade ones are not).

The way I was taught to grade GH value was in the following order:

Gold dust on head
Gold threads on head
Gold patches on head
Gold full helmet

The GH photos below are just over a year old, taken at a high end aro pro shop in Singapore:

P2270740golddust.jpg

Gold Dust - juvenile, (supposedly from same brood stock as full helmet below)

P2270737goldpatch.jpg

Gold Patches

P2270728.jpg

Full Helmet

One of these years I will get around to writing up an article on all the shops and farms I visited. If you want to see my other photos for this particular shop, check this out: http://www.dragonfish.ca/extreme_arowana.htm