What's a good lens for shooting fish and aquariums?

bksze

Planning on picking up a rebel XSI with the basic 18-55mm kit lens. Also was planning on getting a 50mm prime lens. Seems like a pretty good starter kit for me to get into a more advanced level of photography. Any other ideas for a good starter lens? Most people seem to recommend a better wide angle lens like a 10-20mm.

I plan on shooting my fish, my dogs and when I go on vacation if it's not too much hassle, I'll bring along the DSLR. I plan on keeping the compact point and shoot in the wife's purse for all other occasions.

This is coming from a complete newb who's basic understanding of all things camera are from reading articles and reviews on the net.

TIA

chen88

Super Moderator
i have the same camera with the 18-55 lens. I love that camera...BUT Gerry's got some awesome photography skills...he should be the one best answer this question...I can't get the black in my pictures like he does!

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
60mm f/2.8. Best lens for shooting almost anything and especially fish.

bksze, what part of the country are you in?

I'm working with Theo to get myself out to the west coast to do a shoot and we were talking about doing a photography clinic.

I'm also doing a clinic for the local aquarium society here in Winterpeg in October, I do believe.

bksze

I'll definitely keep in consideration. I have some leftover giftcards from my wedding so plan to do a little spending on a camera and lens package, however everyone says I should stick with the kit lens and get a feel for the camera before I pick up any new lenses so I may just put that on hold. I am also going to HK in a few weeks and everything seems cheaper electronics wise so may pick up some new lenses for the camera out there.

I live in Cgy so right in the middle of you guys. However I do head out to Vancouver every now and then. Let me know if you do get a clinic up and if I can make it happen, I'd love to attend.

I'm working with Theo to get myself out to the west coast to do a shoot and we were talking about doing a photography clinic.

I'm also doing a clinic for the local aquarium society here in Winterpeg in October, I do believe.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
I hear that ll the time. Stick with the kit lens until you get a handle on the camera. The lens has no bearing on what you learn or how quickly you learn how to use the camera. In fact, prime lenses like the 60 mm f/2.8 retain better value than a kit lens any day of the week, and if you get into photography at all, most kit lenses never see the light of day again once you move up to a better lens like the 60mm.

If you're looking to get into the hobby as cheaply as possible, then sure a kit lens will help your budget.

I have an 18-70mm nikkor lens that came with my original D70s. Guess when the last time was that I used it? About 2 years ago. The retail value of that lens is over 400 dollars. If I were to sell it used and in immaculate condition, I'd be lucky to get 200 dollars back. Probably closer to $150, and even then I'd have to find the right buyer.

A prime lens like the 60mm f/2.8 in very good condition would sell used for easily 75% of the retail value.

Buying a camera body without kit lens is usually, depending on the kit lens, a couple of hundred dollars cheaper.

I'm not telling anyone to invest in a better lens right off the hop, but why not get better pictures right off the hop if it doesn't hurt your budget? There really IS that much difference between a kit lens and the next step up. Getting better results right off the hop is much more encouraging than getting pics that you think are pretty good until you see what others are getting with f/2.8 lenses.

Just my 2 pennies worth. :)

Marius

How about the Nikon 50mm f1.4 or f1.8 Gerry? I skipped the 60mm and was thinking of getting one of those, but now I might reconsider :)

Cypher

Gerry convinced me to get a Nikkor 60mm 2.8 and I do not regret this purchase at all. Great pictures and a very fast lens!

hondas3000

Its true how you just get the body only and buy a better lens. At first I can't afford L lens and don't know which lens to get so I bought with 18-55mm IS kit lens and I got a few pictures out of it. Lucky for me I manage to sell the kit lens for $100, and use that money for the macro lens. If you are going to HK everything is cheap there but watch out for the warranty, get the one with international warranty and only buy it at well know shop so you know it is real stuff. Lots of stuff they sell there have a real body but inside is fake or cheap stuff. But yeah if you get DSLR then you must go with expensive lens and it is a one time purchase only its not like point and shoot camera that you have to replace later .

Red Samurai

Do you have to be a member to see the clinic in October?
When you head out to the west coast see if anyone is willing to part with their odd pattern IT's and bring it back for me:p
*Gerry- did you get my pm*

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Randy if you're not a member it costs 5 bucks.

As for odd pattern ITs, I'll see what I can do. ;)

Yes, I got your pm. I'll let you know. :)

Arodynamic

Gerry
Reading thru your previous posts i think I have the same equipment as you, D300, 60mm2.8 and a SB800 speedlite.
Do you mind sharing how you set up your equipment to take those fab shots ie lighting, tripod any calculations etc??

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Sorry, I hadn't seen this post.

My set up is pretty straightforward. Flashes above the tank. I only use a tripod for full tank shots. More work goes into training the fish to give me the poses I want. ;)

wmaher2

How about the Nikon 50mm f1.4 or f1.8 Gerry? I skipped the 60mm and was thinking of getting one of those, but now I might reconsider :)

I am a semi-pro photographer. Weddings, newspaper stuff. fast 50mm every time. I have a collection of about 15+ lenses and I use one of my 50's 90% of the time. Auto focus 50mm f1.4. Have an oldy from the 80 with no af 50mm f1.7 lot nicer but miss to many shots because of focusing. Unless you are taking photos of fish all the time fast 50mm is best for family and pet pics. A good quality medium length 1:1 macro would probably be my favorite for fish.