where to drill

Marowana420

in the process of setting up a 220. so far i got a 75 gal sump for it. where should i drill the holes in the main tank? should i put them on the bottom or the back? should i put the overflow in the center, in a corner or at both corners? is 1.5" hole big enough? any tips and pointers on setting up a system like this will be greatly apperciated.

lo sai

you should probably drill the holes on the back top corners of the tank, and not on the bottom just incase the power goes out.

Joey

you should probably drill the holes on the back top corners of the tank, and not on the bottom just incase the power goes out.

Thats what overflow covers are for. Water flows over the top of them, and when the pawer goes out, water cannot keep flowing over them.

Marowana420, i would go with an overflow in each corner. If you put them in the bottom, you'll get more flow out of them, but will need to add overflow covers as well. With 1.5" bulkheads, tyou'll get a flow of around 1350gph out of each bulkhead... if you put them in the back wall, the flow is alot less as you wont have gravity on your side. The flow threw 1.5" bulkheads in the back of the tank will be around 844gph each....
so it really depends on what kind of turnover you want on that tank, and what size pump you have.

If you put them in the back wall, the apperance is more sleak, with out the over flow wall.... if you put them in the bottom, you'll have to install an overflow wall and stand pipe. Or you can just go with the standpipe and no wall, but that doesnt look that good.

DaiDee

I'd prefer more flow myself but the thing is, you lose some swimming area with those overflows. It's not too bad I guess if you have one in each corner.

Drilling it in the back will only require you to have a strainer which doesn't take up much space at all. You can even have the returns coming from the top of the tank using lokline tubes.

You drilling this yourself? and 1.5" is fine.

Joey

Drilling a glass tank is really easy. A drill, glass hole saw and some water is all you need.... once you get the feel of it with your first hole, its a breeze.. acrylic is even easier... Id recommend doing it yourself if you have the tools. Saves alot of time any money if you plan on drilling more tanks down the road.

carcrazy

I drilled my 20g sump on the side. It was easy to do if you go slow and keep the area wet (I made a small water well around the hole using plumbers putty). If you try to rush it you risk the chance of chipping glass. Just use the weight of the drill. I'm all for DIY and saving money!

Joey

I have tryed using a slowly running hose over the spot to be drilled during drilling. i have tryed pouring water over the spot to be drilled with a pitcher of water, pouring it ever so often. I have also tryed a spray bottle....

I have found that keeping the glass and hole saw cool, and free of all of the white milky looking fluid that will appear when drilling is all you have to do. I found that using the plumbers putty is what most do, but the milky fluid(ground up glass) has no where to go.

My methods are a bit more messy, but still work non the less.

I also tape under the spot to be drilled, so the glass doesnt fall after being drilled.

Kepp the drill as level as possible, especially if drilling thick glass, the weight of the drill will do all the work like carcrazy mentioned.

danfong88

2" from the top corner... either side depending on return flow very nice and just buy a bulk head at Big Al's. I would use flex pipe make less noise than PVC pipe.
Let me know if you need any help?

Marowana420

thanks...

have decided to drill at the bottom with durso pipes. overflow box is built.

now thinking about stand and canopy.

Marowana420

yea... he also did the acrylic box and durso for me, all finished but my tank is not set up yet. i'm stil building a stand. any ideas how to slide a heavy ass tank across the foam?

Last edited:

DaiDee

Is it a metal stand? If it is, then you can use thick weather stripping from a hardware store. Or do your best to keep the foam center with the width of the stand and cut off the excess that runs lengthwise. Try some doublesided tape as well. I'm sure we can figure something out...