Market Prawns.... How much do YOU spend?

hustler

I have been feeding all my fish the raw head off tiger prawns for years now just sutting off the tail and chooping them into 1/2 inch pieces.
This is getting VERY expensive now with a 10 aro comm and an rtc lol.... nevermind the superworms and pellet training...
I have been buying the box raw prawns or bagged 1lb from superstore or if they have them the larger sized prawns from walmart i think its 1lb for $9 regardless i need to find a cheaper way of getting them thier food lol. I always thought the cooked were very bad (who knows what they cook it in)
What are you guys using, where are you getting it and how much?

i always buy the frozen package from supermarket, the cheapest i found is one bag weight 300g; 3 bag for $5. i dont feed tiger shrimp price wise, also it is hard for my fishes to chew.

Yuppa

Super Moderator
Safeway usually has 2 for 1 - 1lb bag of prawn for 8 dollars.. So 2lb for 8 bux..

I also get fresh prawn from boats in steveston, around 5 dollar a pound never frozen.

hustler

So for safeway, this is cooked shelled? I thought the whole point of MP was the shell for the carotine? Im just curious because i know your guys fish are amazing.... and maybe i would have more cash for fish if i wasnt spending so much on prawns lol

Yuppa

Super Moderator
That price is for raw with shell on..

I usually remove the shell however..

Many members here stuff the prawn with aro or massivore pellets, however in my experience if the aro is smaller, or likes to chew its food they usually spit the pellet out

m_class2g

Sponsor
i buy fresh white shrimp from the supermarket. with shell on. i just take off the shell before i feed them to my fish. i usually stuff pellets inside the shrimp as well to add extra nutrients.

i usually buy them at 5.99 a lb. sometimes they are on sale for 4.99.

i dont have many fish left so its cheap to feed. i couldnt imagine feeding chens tank! probably cost you an arm and a leg!!

hustler

Well thats just crazy :) I never thought thats how you guys might do it, Ive always cut the pran at the knuckles and fed shell on.... never tried stuffing pellets either, just pellet training.
Looks like im going to have to re think the food im giving?

m_class2g

Sponsor
i know a bunch of people from arofanatics just feed their aros exclusively prawn but a balanced diet is good as well. keep them healthier and not to mention, when the aro gets tired of eating just prawn, it wont starve if hes trained to take other types of food!!

hustler

Well i try pellets..... rarely works, superworms every other day and shell on prawns in 1/2" bits Its worked for me for years but this is my first asian comm so i want to get it exact before i get them all moved in

chen88

Super Moderator
I feed once per day, 2 bags of white shrimps of 300g per...the cut up shrimps are fed to the aros first (approx. 30% of the MPs) and the remaining 70% goes to the Rays....SD's are fed pellets... 2 bags of 300g bags cost me $3 so I usually buy 30-40bags each time I go to the chinese market...wife hates it as I take up most of the freezer! lol.

carcrazy

I buy shrimp in the 4 lb boxes for $25.00 that my lfs gets me. It sounds like maybe I should shop around for a better deal! The problem is I'm 200 km from the nearest store that carries shrimp so it is more convenient for me to just buy from him 6 boxes every 2 or 3 weeks. I feed about 1.5 lb per day (shell off cut in small pieces).

skynoch

I feed headless white shrimp and take the shell off as my rays have all figured out how to get the shrimp out of the shell. My shrimp have been going up in cost lately and are now costing about $5 a pound but use to cost around $4.25 4 months ago. I have some very nice friends who own a chinese restauant and get my shrimp for me when they purchase thiers. I go through around 120 pounds of shrimp a month. Besides smelts I think shrimp is the cheapest way to go.
This winter I'll be spending alot of time icefishing for whitefish to feed.

hondas3000

I really don't want to add up the cost because if I do my wife will think its cost too much to feed :). 5 aro, 3 rays and RTC, TSN can finish a lb a day and the cheapest I pay for is 7.99 per 2lb bag white shrimp from superstore. All my fish can eat with shell and tail on, but I need to buy cheaper food for the RTC and TSN now :(.

Yuppa

Super Moderator
Be careful feeding with tail on!!!

Tail can have sharp spine, I lost a nice flowerhorn that ate prawn with tail on.. Prawn tail punctured its intestine :(

hondas3000

Be careful feeding with tail on!!!

Tail can have sharp spine, I lost a nice flowerhorn that ate prawn with tail on.. Prawn tail punctured its intestine :(

flower horn is a bad eater. I lost a flower horn because of cricket too. white shrimp have soft tail though. Maybe next time I feed shell to RTC instead. I need to find a whole sale for prawn now maybe its cheaper then superstore.

hustler

I will check out T and T here in edmonton or lucky 97, I get my seafood wholesale (lobsters,Oysters,Crawfish) but the prawns arent any cheaper than superstore. I have to find a 4lb plus kind of deal, I have 2 deepfreezes anyways for all my trout and salmon :) so its no trouble to stock up.

hustler

Skynoch........ Whitefish you say?????????????????????? I toss them buggers back all the time when Im out on the boat. You can feed them to aros? Parasites or anything?

bcarlos

I feed once per day, 2 bags of white shrimps of 300g per...the cut up shrimps are fed to the aros first (approx. 30% of the MPs) and the remaining 70% goes to the Rays....SD's are fed pellets... 2 bags of 300g bags cost me $3 so I usually buy 30-40bags each time I go to the chinese market...wife hates it as I take up most of the freezer! lol.

It's funny, I was at the Asian market yesterday and bought 20 bags of white shrimp-- the cashier looked at me like I had two heads. I guess a white guy at the Asian market buying 20 bags of shrimp is uncommon? :)

You can find all kinds of deals-- frozen mussels, herring, etc etc. Trick is to be a keen shopper and feed a varied diet, so you can switch it up if the price dictates.

hustler

LOL dont get me started on that topic :) Dim sum I have to pretty much stop every cart just to get what i came for, Its never offered. Then they ask you have eaten chicken feet..... While grabbing my 3 pots of it LOL ohh yes this belly isnt just beer Scrumbshus little things
It's funny, I was at the Asian market yesterday and bought 20 bags of white shrimp-- the cashier looked at me like I had two heads. I guess a white guy at the Asian market buying 20 bags of shrimp is uncommon? :)

You can find all kinds of deals-- frozen mussels, herring, etc etc. Trick is to be a keen shopper and feed a varied diet, so you can switch it up if the price dictates.

skynoch

Skynoch........ Whitefish you say?????????????????????? I toss them buggers back all the time when Im out on the boat. You can feed them to aros? Parasites or anything?

Ya you can feed them no problem but make sure you freeze the fillets first to kill the parasites and watch where they are caught from because some areas around the fish may contain pollutants. They may actually be better than the shrimp as saltwater shrimp contains thiamin but no one I've spoken to knows how much for sure. I don't think it's too high of a level but it is still present.