Market Prawns.... How much do YOU spend?

snow

I buy sea jewel shrimp and prawns from wal-mart. It's $5 for a fair sized bag which lasts me half a month. So $10 a month in shrimp or prawns to feed my fish. Then it's another $15-20 a month for pellets to keep a mix diet.

skynoch

Ya you can feed them no problem but make sure you freeze the fillets first to kill the parasites and watch where they are caught from because some areas around the fish may contain pollutants. They may actually be better than the shrimp as saltwater shrimp contains thiamin but no one I've spoken to knows how much for sure. I don't think it's too high of a level but it is still present.

Sorry I meant contain Thiaminase which blocks thiamin production.

RDFISHGUY

I put my superworms in the fridge the other day and I noticed they are very sluggish. I will try to inject vitamins and feed them to my XB. If that works problem solved. If not more training required.

hustler

I keep my SW at room temp in bins with bran and oats and chopped carrots and 2 days before feeding i put them into a bin with a floor of fish flakes. i rarely loose any this way and i believe they gourge themselves on "death row" lol

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I recently ordered a 1000 superworms in a box from www.bugorder.com, somewhere up near Edmonton I think. I am feeding the superworms a mix of arosticks, carrots, sweet potato, and oats. The worms are thriving, and aro is eating 5-15 per day.

In the past I have pumped live superworms with carrots, then froze them, and then thawed when feeding. That worked well.

If I had my way I would be feeding aro the Safeway market prawn along with the SW supplemented with pellets. Right now this seems unlikely to happen with my fish. :rolleyes:

hustler

Cirrus, Thats where i got mine from too
I try not to mix any fish food with the main containers as it will eventually start to stink but for some reason the bran and oats will last forever??? thats why the seprate pump up bin before feeding. I have a breeding colony of mealworms that supplies itself, they are smaller but breed fast and with large numbers.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Great idea Hustler. I will set up two bins, one main holding bin with oats and carrots, another bin just with the fish food.

Yuppa

Super Moderator
I have also taken to buying clam meat as its amazingly cheap (2 bux for 1/2 pound at save on foods)

hustler

Yuppa..... Clam meat?
Thats an awesome idea
I wonder if it has too high a protine? how long have you been feeding it?

Yuppa

Super Moderator
Been using it with oscars and bicher for a few months now, I feed it once or twice a week.. I think a varied diet is the best option for any fish..

skynoch

How does the clam meat come? Is it frozen or stored in a solution. I've been looking to add clam for my rays diet but out in the smaller towns they don't carry it.

hustler

comes frozen sometimes in sheets of small calms or ive seen it in the boxes like prawns too at superstore.... I would guess its almost bite sized just the way it is.... Im gonna try that out for sure

letsgofishn

I have tried both Bugorder and WalleyMaster, I prefer WalleyMaster seems to have larger baits. fresh and salt water smelts, SW, dew worms, crickets, leaches.

Give these guys a try and ask for Roland the owner.

Walleye Master Tackle & Bait Ltd
11227 180 St.
Edmonton, AB
1 800 471 7841 or 780 451 0018.

No I don't work for them, but a lot of us locals here deal with him.

hustler

matt pf is this white shrimps? Over by the shrip rings? I havent seen this deal and im there all the time in the seafood isle.... That would be Ideal :)

RDFISHGUY

I tried injecting cold superworms with vitamins and it was so easy my 8 yr old did it. No special feeding required. Inject a couple of these each feeding and you are good to go. It ensures you get the proper vitamins into your fish.

bcarlos

I tried injecting cold superworms with vitamins and it was so easy my 8 yr old did it. No special feeding required. Inject a couple of these each feeding and you are good to go. It ensures you get the proper vitamins into your fish.

You shouldn't be keeping your SW in the fridge, as this greatly reduces their life expectancy. Room temperature and you're good to go. Injecting them is easy-- just use something to hold their head against a flat surface, and inject your vitamin concoction. Works like a dream for me.