Smaller Arowana

Reis

Hey guys,
Trying to figure out if there are any smaller Arowana species that have a stunted growth or if anything like that exists. I'm new to Aro's so I'm reading and learning as much as I can. Im possibly looking for a 75-90 Gallon, depending on space available.

Diablored

I would say no on the arowana in that tank size. Arowanas grow long and grow fast. They will quickly outgrow a 90 gallon. I use a 75 gallon for a single arowana when it arrives at 6 to 8 inches. It is moved into a 24 inch wide tank within a month or so. Usually my 5x2. And than from there it will still go in a larger tank once it gets bigger. They need a good wide footprint, especially so with the South American ones. Larger tanks aren't that expensive and are a lot more fun to own!

Reis

I agree, I'd love to get a huge tank, the only problem is space is limited. I'm looking into rays as well. But i don't wanna get a fish knowing it'll outgrow my tank.
Don't want to stress about moving it or worst case scenario sell it. Thanks!

energie604

smallest arowana that will grow out you can get is a jardini, or you can always get the 90 gallon until the fish reaches over 1ft and upgrade in the future when you have more space.

energie604

but ya if u put it in a small tank and keep it in that tank, you will stunt the growth of the fish and its not recommended because in a 90 gal ur fish wont be able to turn once it reaches 2ft +

Reis

Yeah I'd wanna avoid that. I wanna make sure I have the proper equipment so I can care for it.

Reis

Yeah it went through it once and don't wanna go through it again hahha it's more stress on me than it is on the fish hehe