Stung

chen88

Super Moderator
In ucc (urgent care centre) stung by a pup. Had to call 911. Paaaain!!!!

Last edited:

tman

Super Moderator
Pup? Must have been typing while in paaaiiiinnnn.

Don't forget to get the pretty nurse to suck out the venom!!

Last edited:

chen88

Super Moderator
Pup?

Pup? Must have been typing while in paaaiiiinnnn.

Don't forget to get the pretty nurse to suck out the venom!!

lol....posted from emerg..lol

was admitted right away to urgent care of the emerg ward. the look on everyone's faces when they were told what stung me...all was browsing to look at my rays.....keep over night as my heart rate was rather high and the pain higher!..got home at 3am and back to the hospital for ultrasound and docs assessment....lots of swelling....I'll post some photos later :).

well....all 4 of my pups managed to get under the section of my sump that I can't get into very easily. They got under the drip portion so no way of getting them out other them blowing water in there at a high rate and get them out that way!....well...that's what I was trying last night and didnt noticed one of the was already out and stung me....pesky fella...wife and kids witness me go into shock and thought i was having a seizure....finally came out of it once paramedics arrived as my 14 year called 911.

not much sleep, multiple freezing shots, multiple antibiotic shots, tetanus shot and percocet still feeling pain.

all this was i hoping that my pups were ok and wife didn't put them on the wok....she's extremely pissed at what's happen...I told her it's not the rays fault and it was mine!

time to get more meds and sleep...

Last edited by a moderator:

Reis

This is when your wife tells you your gonna have to get rid of them :p hahaha hopefully not !

Joey

WOW... crazy story chen. Hope you get better soon...

Pics would be great though. Sorry. Always interesting to see.

kimrocks

How did you first know you had been stung?

Did you feel the sting immediately when it happened (like being stung by a bee) or you felt something was wrong and realized you had been stung?

Curious as the pups looks so harmless - could easily happen to anyone else.

My Aro attacks the ray in the tank - I often wonder why the ray does not sting it when it is being attacked.

Hope you feel better!

chen88

Super Moderator
not the best photos but considering how much pain i was in lol....

it initially felt like someone cut me with a knife and then the pain was awful. I tried putting my hand into hot water as per internet instructions but was in too much pain to stay on my feet and felt chest tightening up so thought I'd better be calling 911. Luckily they came within 5mins (Have a station near my house). My heart beat was extremely high and they rushed me into Critical Care ..... a couple days later the swelling is all but gone except around the finger. I have an appointment tomorrow with a plastic surgeon who wanted to see if there are any tissue damage from the venom and to review my blood work with me.

Ambulance wasn't a fun right especially when they strapped me down so tight as they couldn't give me anything by direction of the hospital since they didn't know how to treat a "Stingray" sting....you should have seen the faces of everyone in the hospital...lol

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
WTF??? I am off the forum for a few days and I miss what must be one of THE stories of the last few years at least. Pardon me, but holy shit! Visions of that Aussie crocodile hunter guy all over again. Man you are lucky! One benefit of reading this thread after the fact is I could see it had a happy ending...your tone of writing is pretty damn funny in places (your pups in the wok lol!).

Hope you get better Chen! :)

chen88

Super Moderator
WTF??? I am off the forum for a few days and I miss what must be one of THE stories of the last few years at least. Pardon me, but holy shit! Visions of that Aussie crocodile hunter guy all over again. Man you are lucky! One benefit of reading this thread after the fact is I could see it had a happy ending...your tone of writing is pretty damn funny in places (your pups in the wok lol!).

Hope you get better Chen! :)

Emerg folks were all saying this was a first for them. They've tried calling to other ERs and all I heard was not kidding! When I called for an appointment for the surgeon they said "oh you're the guy". Lol

Oh man that looks pretty bad. Glad it's getting better chen.

Ouch that musta hurt!!!!!!!

Boys! All I can say learn from my pains!!! It got my heart rate up to an alarming rate that they rushed me into urgent care within ER. They hooked up all sorts of wires to my arms and legs to monitor my heart rate which was not calming down.

I was on the floor of my house just moving like I was having a stroke, scared the shit out of kids and wife. Kid call 911 and wife held my legs but when paramedics showed up they told her to let me go. They too my heart rate, radio back to hospital about what happen and told me they have nothing with them that can help me. Radio from hospital comes on and tells them to transport me HCC ASAP while they make some calls.

Last edited:

exoticaquaria

wow Chen! Just read this now! I am glad you are ok!

Its definitely no joke handling stingrays! I use great precaution all the time and it still worries the crap out me when I handle/ship these guys!

kimrocks

BTW - was the barb left inside and they had to cut it out? or you able to pull it out? The barb can be toxic long after it leaves the ray apparently.