230G Reseal project.... SO much for One tank...Damn stingrays


New Member
I was planning on just keeping my one 300 gallon.... its big enough right...... Then i got an adult pair of motoro and Bang..... I need a new tank for babies and more ARO's :)....
So I ended up finding a 230 gallon old reef tank for a real good price, Got it home and scrubbed it out and removed all the sand and old corals. It was drained and left in a shop for 2 years and it was FILTHY.....
After a day of scrubbing and scrapeing i found 2 things.....
1 It has starfire glass front and a smoked bottom and back :)
2 it needs new silicone..... So out comes the tools :(
Ive got her all cleaned out, Taped up and ready to get to the caulking tommorow morn..... Wish me luck and any advice would be worth its weight in gold.





Super Moderator
Wow, good find and good luck! Word of advice! Silicone better on glass then on hands! :)

And nice aro pictures you have on the back ! Lol


New Member
There was honestly so much salt and Grass???alge on the glass i didnt even notice it was smoked till i started scrubbing it.... 2 years to let it dry it was scaling off with the scraper....
Awesome pleco :) thats exactly what i grabbed.... couldnt find any ge 1200.
Chen.... those pics are all over here.... My shop has $50,000 wall paper LOL at $20-$30 a Sq foot paid in loonies :)


New Member
For the silicone application i was thinking to use a section of rubber mat and just cut a 45 angle about 3/8 of an inch and use that as a spreader????
You think that would work better than fingers?


New Member
Nice looking tank. How much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking? Was it a C list tank?


New Member
I'd let it cure for a week before you fill it. Besides that it looks like you know what you are doing.

I would let it cure longer then that even. When I had my large tank made they told me not to put any water in it for 3-4 weeks, so it could fully cure properly.


New Member
Who made your large tank pleco? Everyone i talk to says 48 hrs is minimum after that there is no chem sepage and its fully bonded.
Kind of scary as my 300 was built and filled within 2 weeks and the maker said it was ready to go within the first week?
Also I was wanting to leak test it in the shop before i get it inside..... and its going to snow soon so I was looking to get that all done this weekend??? what do you guys figure?


New Member
Well all said and done.... It was a great experience :) now fingers crossed and knocking on wood she holds water LOL.




New Member
Been full 2 days now :) everything holds great bulkheads are sealed. I was getting the boys ready to move it in tonight and I ended up buying matching 180's already up and running so this guy is going up for sale now..... Make a good grow out or something