Another tank size question

islanddave

Hello

I know I Know....yup I have read recommendations.....the bigger the better.....at least six foot long......at least 24"wide.

I have a 60"L x 36"W x 27"H tank otherwise known as a 250 gallon deep dimension. I just want honest opinions here. Is there any type of adult Arowana that I could humanely keep long term in this tank? Or am I best off looking for another.

Thanks David

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I think your tank dimensions are fine for most adult cross backs, which often max out at 22-24 inches. Super reds, however, can max out at 25-30 inches, which might be too big for your tank. Tough call since the three feet turning radius your tank provides is pretty generous. If it was me, I'd go for it.

mitchb

I had a highback in a 60x30x24 and he was fine... but the question is more about you to be honest. I could tell that, coming from a normal 180, that extra length was missed as he was doing a lot more circles than before.

The extra width in my opinion is not as good as the length. So could it live in there? Yeah, but if I were to start up a new tank and didn't have a tank already I would be looking for a 180 vs the one you have. But if it was a forever tank i would wait for something that was at least 30 across and 6 feet wide. As setting up a tank, plumbing etc is something you only want to do once if possible