Any tips for disassembling a tank

tomuhs

Hi guys,

Looking to start disassembling a large tank for a move and was wondering if anyone had any good tips for remove silicone and transporting glass. I managed to pick up some silicone be-gone and i'm not too sure if it is aquarium safe. I'm hoping to do most of my work with an exacto knife....maybe there's a better tool out there? Wish me luck lol...

Joey

The great thing about big tanks, is they are easier to take apart.

Depending on how big the tank is, you will need some help to hold the pane to prevent it from falling.

Since big tank use a ton of silicone, they generally have a gap between the panes where the silicone is. Simply slide a razor blade in there, and pull the pane off.

Thin guitar wire works as well. Shimmy it in and use it like a blade, pulling back and forth.

Start with removing all of the silicone from the outside of the seams. The exposed silicone. Then move onto the actual silicone in the seams with a razor or wire.

Other then that, have help there to hold the pane when it comes off. Or get some clamps.

Clean the panes up with fresh razor blades and acetone. Have a LOT of razor blades on hand. When you think you bought enough, buy more.

A one sided razor blade in a hand held scraper is the best tool for the job i find.

tomuhs

The great thing about big tanks, is they are easier to take apart.

Depending on how big the tank is, you will need some help to hold the pane to prevent it from falling.

Since big tank use a ton of silicone, they generally have a gap between the panes where the silicone is. Simply slide a razor blade in there, and pull the pane off.

Thin guitar wire works as well. Shimmy it in and use it like a blade, pulling back and forth.

Start with removing all of the silicone from the outside of the seams. The exposed silicone. Then move onto the actual silicone in the seams with a razor or wire.

Other then that, have help there to hold the pane when it comes off. Or get some clamps.

Clean the panes up with fresh razor blades and acetone. Have a LOT of razor blades on hand. When you think you bought enough, buy more.

A one sided razor blade in a hand held scraper is the best tool for the job i find.

Wow thanks for the great tips! I'm going to go try out the guitar string (i have some extra violin strings i can use) and I'll be sure to stock up on razor blades.

Appreciate the feedback!