Aro Pairing?

chen88

Super Moderator
well...not sure how to say this but I think my only Absolute Gold Pairs are paired or pairing...theyve been dancing and getting more intense so i decided to put in a separator in my current tank just incase something happens ie...eggs and my rays and the other Aro's don't eat them....Not sure how successful I would be as breeding obviously is not that easy! and more so NOT in a tank environment....since separation, the pair has been eating quite a bit less!...one is more aggressive then the other, the more aggressive one also is the one making all the growling noise when swimming, the aggressive one is also the only one eating ...not a lot but eating...I'm taking a guess that the aggressive one might be the male. Let's see how this goes!

photo-3.jpg

Video
http://youtu.be/n5BkLrzoiUs

Last edited:

hondas3000

want to sell that pair? hehhe. Good thing you still keep the aro and now let hope you get something out of it so you can be the first in Canada to breed aro.

chen88

Super Moderator
well...it's all luck I tell you...my wife threaten if i sold it....I didn't fearing early death for myself so i kept and now this happens....wife doesn't know this as yet or else I'll never hear the end of it....but it's still very very early.. I think I'll keep this pair for now! LOL....hoping perhaps the 5 remaining reds might get it on in a year or two..

hondas3000

well...it's all luck I tell you...my wife threaten if i sold it....I didn't fearing early death for myself so i kept and now this happens....wife doesn't know this as yet or else I'll never hear the end of it....but it's still very very early.. I think I'll keep this pair for now! LOL....hoping perhaps the 5 remaining reds might get it on in a year or two..

Now you need to send the ST back to BC since you need room for those pair now :). But yeah other they quit hobby or they need money then yeah selling aro but for you, I have no idea why you want to sell it. How about buying another tank and transfer other fish out so this pair can have a full tank of itself. Who know, you might get lucky. Now what if they breed do you need cities paper work hehehhe.

chen88

Super Moderator
Now you need to send the ST back to BC since you need room for those pair now :). But yeah other they quit hobby or they need money then yeah selling aro but for you, I have no idea why you want to sell it. How about buying another tank and transfer other fish out so this pair can have a full tank of itself. Who know, you might get lucky. Now what if they breed do you need cities paper work hehehhe.

if i'm lucky enough to actually get any fries out of this...I'll be thinking about giving them the entire 450gal tank!...the rest will definitely be finding new homes!...

hondas3000

if i'm lucky enough to actually get any fries out of this...I'll be thinking about giving them the entire 450gal tank!...the rest will definitely be finding new homes!...

yeah but before that you need bigger space for them right away and start power feeding them with kingworm as it is more easy to except.

chen88

Super Moderator
Awesome, Veddy interesting! I think Chen you are going to have the next breeding Arowana farm :).

Well...I'm happy just if they breed one baby! More! That would be awesome. I know baby aros are like any fish, there are high defects and death rates.

Last edited:

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I was watching my group of Geos yesterday, thinking that they will spawn again as soon as I do a big water change (Of course the rays eat the eggs, but that is another story). Then I had what might be a "eureka" moment - Chen, have you considered doing a 35% water change on that big tank? I know it would be damn hard to do, involve a lot of buckets lol, but it could be just the thing to actually trigger a spawning... :)

chen88

Super Moderator
I might do that this weekend. I have to do a good clean of my sump which takes 2-3 hours and hard labour! LOL....but it might happen this weekend. changing water 35-40 is easy...I just take the python and have the water run into my basement sink...once done I fill back up with the python...I'll that this weekend and see...but my pair continues to dance all day and all night..just not further action as yet. They are now on their own so no risk of the rays eating anything...

hondas3000

Might want to do it with cold water Chen so you aiming to drop the water down to 2 degrees Celcius, and this will act like rain in the wild where new water and colder when rain. I did this and my ray breed.

bcarlos

Might want to do it with cold water Chen so you aiming to drop the water down to 2 degrees Celcius, and this will act like rain in the wild where new water and colder when rain. I did this and my ray breed.

X2, cold, clean water is the secret.

You may want to try timing this big water change with an incoming storm front. I've noticed considerable breeding action with my rays during bad weather.

tomuhs

Best of luck with this endeavor. I know the courtship dance can last for months; guess we're all anxious to hear any updates. Keep us posted!