Arowana is sick with something, not sure what?

bksze

Tank:
260 gallon with sand bottom. Run 2 FX5s with external heater and 3 airstones.

Stock:
2 Full size mature breeding motoro rays
9 clown loaches from 5" - 7" in size
1 pleco 10"
1 indo datnoid 12"
1 xback arowana 24"

Background:

Tank at 82F and water changes once a week, 30% tap water treated with Prime

About 6 weeks ago, my arowana stopped eating. He was fed a combination of Hikari aro pellets and superworms. Over the course of a week, he just gradually stopped eating. I thought nothing of it, as I know sometimes they go into their moods of not eating. Visually, everything was okay. Finnage was perfect, no signs of injury or sickness.

At the time, I attributed to the tank being stressed, as the male stingray was constantly chasing the female around.

2 weeks into the no-eating phase, my arowana started developing cloudy eye in one eye. He was also starting to get some split fins. I did a 30% water change and added 10tbsp of aquarium salt. I upped the temperature to 88 - 90F. Over a period of 5 days, his cloudy eye cleared up. Over the next 2 weeks, his finnage started growing back together as well. I thought all was well. Still not eating though.

Today, I woke up to see that everything in the tank seemed to be gasping for air. The arowana was swimming at the surface and almost trying to gulp surface air. Turned out over night, my lid somehow got pushed back and compressed the air lines. I fixed all the air lines and immediately did a water change. Aside from the gasping, everything seemed normal with him visually. So I did a water change and lowered the temperature back to 82F figuring more oxygen in the water if the water is cooler. Tonight, the cloudy eye has returned in both eyes and is much worse than before. I immediately added salt to the tank and raised the temperature back up.

I don't think it's dropsy as there are no lifted scales. Is there anything else I can do? I have both pimafix and melafix at home but not sure if I should treat with this yet. I don't have a separate tank to put the other fish in while I treat.

During these past 6 weeks, the only thing that could be considered abnormal behaviour, aside from everything listed above is that occasionally, the aro will swim against the side of the tank at an almost 90 degree angle. As if to scratch the top of his back.

Pretty lost right now. To top it all off, I have a pregnant female ray, an angry male ray and a wife that's due any minute now!

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

Ben

Joey

Sounds like your fish are growing, increasing the bio-load, but your filtration remained the same. This may have caused a mini cycle several times in the tank. Which may have also caused the cloudy eye, gasping at the waters surface, and loss of appetite.

I would start by increasing the frequency of water changes, and add more filtration. 2 FX5's can only hold a maximum of 11.8 litres of media. And if all of this available media space is used just for bio filtration, it is still not enough for your stocking.

This may or may not be the cause of the problem, but it is definetly something to consider.

What are your waters readings?

bcarlos

If it is indeed a bioload issue-- which is likely the case-- at the very least it'd be a good idea to replace one or two of those airstones with hyrdro-sponges

Another option is to get rid of the pleco (I'm assuming is a common?), which doesn't really fit with the stocking list anyway. A 10 inch plec puts out a lot of waste!

bksze

Water parameters are currently normal. Mind you, I just did a water change yesterday. I am hoping to get rid of the male stingray this friday.

I've also been looking to get rid of the pleco, however you can't give those things away either.

Never thought about the bioload being an issue because I thought the first fish to show signs towards water quality, would be my loaches.

In the meantime, I will up my water changes to twice weekly and see if that helps.

Thanks,

Joey

what are normal readings?

FYI: mini cycles sometimes correct them selves befor you get a chance to get a reading on ammonia in the tank... but not befor the damage has already been done..

bksze

Nitrite 0.1
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0-0.25

Just did another 20% water change. Planning on doing daily WC at 20% while maintaining 88-90 temp and salt. Hopefully I can clear up the eyes like the last time.

Thanks for the above link, really put things into perspective. Will be looking at moving some fish immediately.

Thanks for all the quick replies guys!

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Also, how often are you cleaning your FX'5's? When I kept rays with my aro I was cleaning my 2260 Eheim cannister every 3-4 weeks. I also run a sump.

Yuppa

Super Moderator
I agree.. Underfiltration would appear to be the issue..

2x - Fx5 is great, but I know from experience its not enough..

I am currently running 1x fx5 & 1x eheim pro II and gosh, its not nearly enough for any bioload! - I will be getting another filter before I look into getting another aro...

Also, how are you buffering your ph?

bksze

Every month, I clean one. So they go through 2 month cycles of cleaning.

I don't buffer my pH. It's not something I've ever done. To be honest, I don't even know what the pH of the water is.

I've always just paid attention to the nitrite, nitrate, ammonia parameters.

Hopefully with increased WC and getting rid of the pleco and the male ray, I'll be able to see some improvement.

bksze

update

Got rid of the male stingray, pleco and datnoid. The female gave birth to another 4 pups so I moved them to a separate tank as well. I think before I got rid of the male, he popped her again so she's currently pregnant again.

My aro no longer has cloudy eye. Has no ripped fins, recovered from some of the hits he took from the datnoid when they were fighting. Looks like a really good specimen and although, I can't tell, friends who visit thinks he's getting bigger.

I'm doing WC twice a week, about 20% each time with Prime and salt. Slowly decreasing the amount of salt though.

Problem is, he's still not eating. Hasn't eaten anything in 3+ months. I've tried crickets, superworms, earth worms. He seems to show interest in the food, but won't take. He'll swim up to it and then swim away.

Any ideas?

RTG

Have you tried minnows that you can pick up at the bait shop? Maybe giving him something to aggresively chase down will bring his appetite back again.